Updates & Downloads
Communicator Plugin software version 4.2.0
as of April 3, 2014
View installation instructions and system requirements
- Supports Windows XP SP3 and later.
- Supports Internet Explorer 7+, Firefox 3.6+, or Safari 5+.
- This download only supports Windows computers. For the Mac download of Garmin Communicator Plugin click here.
- This software requires Windows Media Player 11 or greater (a free download from Microsoft).
Changes made from version 4.1.0 to 4.2.0:
- Added support for new aviation database format
Changes made from version 4.0.4 to 4.1.0:
- Fixed an issue with Base64 decoding that caused last character in the stream to be ignored
Changes made from version 4.0.3 to 4.0.4:
- Modified aviation updates to work on all platforms.
Changes made from version 4.0.1 to 4.0.3:
- Fixed: Issues related to workout and profile transfer to Fit devices
- Fixed: Aviation transfer failures on 64 bit browser for updates greater than 2GB
- Fixed: Error while communicating with SD cards (8GB or more) in MTP devices
- Fixed: GTU 10 software update failures
Changes made from version 3.0.1 to 4.0.1:
- Added 64 bit browser support.
- Fixed workout and profile transfer issues with eNewLeaf.
- Fixed workout transfer issue with FIT devices like Forerunner 610.
- Fixed Windows XP only transfer issues with FIT devices.
Changes made from version 2.9.3 to 3.0.1:
- Added support for new devices
- Added support for detecting association between memory card and its host device
- Fixed issues related to detecting and updating GTU 10 devices
Changes made from version 2.9.2 to 2.9.3:
- Fixed debug logging that was broken in Windows
- Fixed a number of Workout transfer issues
Changes made from version 2.9.1 to 2.9.2:
- Added support for 2GB aviation data cards.
- Made GetBinaryFile function available to non-Garmin websites.
- Switching to indeterminate progress if the calculated progress is greater than 100%.
Changes made from version 2.8.3 to 2.9.1:
- Added support for aviation devices like G3X/G300 and aera.
- Added support for AOPA aviation updates.
Changes made from version 2.8.2 to 2.8.3:
- Fixed a myDashboard-related issue.
Changes made from version 2.8.1 to 2.8.2:
- Change in version number to remain consistent with 2.8.2 Mac release.
Changes made from version 2.7.3 to 2.8.1:
- Added support to send unlock codes to legacy USB devices.
- Added support to send New Leaf fitness data to FR 60.
- Fixed an issue that caused a dialog to show up when New Leaf fitness data was sent to a fitness device.
- Fixed a folder creation issue with newer devices like nuvi 12xx, 13xx and 14xx.
Changes made from version 2.7.1 to 2.7.3:
- Fixed a domain locking security bypass reported by Secunia.
- Fixed a transfer issue with legacy USB fitness devices.
- Fixed an issue with receiving workouts and courses from Edge 605/705.
Changes made from version 2.7.1 to 2.7.2:
- Fixed a domain locking security bypass reported by Secunia.
Changes made from version 2.6.4 to 2.7.1:
- Added support to download and extract zip files to mass storage devices.
- Fixed an issue with gps data transfer to Windows Mobile devices.
Changes made from version 2.6.3 to 2.6.4:
- Fixed an issue with MultiSport activity transfer that caused crashes in Firefox.
Changes made from version 2.6.2 to 2.6.3:
- Better support for new models of the Nuvi Personal Navigation Devices, such as the xx5 series.
Changes made from version 2.6.1 to 2.6.2:
- When reading activities from an Edge, don't report cadence sensor type if no cadence sensor is present.
- Fixed problem where workouts with custom names or many steps are not read correctly from fitness devices.
- The Communicator no longer incorrectly alters waypoint category names on GPS receivers such as the Quest 2 or Street Pilot.
- Improved reporting of progress.
Changes made from version 2.5.2 to 2.6.1:
- Aviation databases can now be updated and/or installed from a Garmin Web Site.
- Geocaching data can now be sent to a Colorado SD card. (Previously, the Geocaching data was lost if the card was selected as the destination device.)
- Empty card slots are no longer shown in the device list.
- Web pages can read free space available on the selected SD card.
- Supplemental maps can be installed on C330, GPSmap 60C and similar Garmin I/O Protocol devices by a Garmin Web Site.
- Fitness activities are now listed in order of date, most recent first.
- The reliability of unit software updates on the Nuvi 800 series has been improved.
Changes made from version 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206:
- Enable unit software update from Garmin's support and map unlock pages.
Changes made from version 2.4.1 to 2.5.1:
- Added support for the Forerunner 405.
Changes made from version 2.3.1 to 2.4.1:
- Support power for the Edge 705.
- Fixed issue which prevented bike cadence from being retrieved.
- Fixed issue which caused some devices to not be detected until after first use.
- Fixed issue which prevented download of POI files from third-party sites on Internet Explorer if the Content-Length header was not set by the server.
- Correctly report an error if POIs download is attempted with no SD card present on devices such as the 60csx.
Changes made from version 2.2.1 to 2.3.1:
- Support Speed and Run Cadence for the Forerunner 50.
- Plugin now resolves relative URLs for file transfers.
- Added support for transferring waypoints, tracks, and routes to Garmin Mobile XT devices/application (Windows Mobile Devices, MX series, and Symbian Devices).
- Added support for file download onto SD Cards.
Changes made from version 2.1.1 to 2.2.1:
- Added the capability to read and write courses, workouts and user profile to fitness devices such as the Edge 305 and Forerunner 305.
- Added the capability to plan trips by writing locations to SD cards without a GPS device present.
- Added the capability to allow a web site to read a directory of fitness activities or courses and then just retrieve details for individual activities.
- Added a property to allow web sites to retrieve fitness data in compressed format.
- Added the ability to retrieve data from the Forerunner 50.
- Fixed exception when plug-in was loaded into a browser embedded in an application.
- Once a user has confirmed to the Garmin Communicator that they trust a particular web site directory, pages at or below that directory level are always trusted.
Changes made from version 220.127.116.11 to 2.1.1:
- Add the 'CustomPOI' data type entry to the Device Description XML when a connected GPS device supports Points of Interest.
- Check for custom POI support by a device before attempting to download POIs to that device.
- Correctly report an error when a file download fails because of a lack of space on the device.
Changes made from version 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124:
- Added the capability to retrieve history from fitness devices such as the Edge and Forerunner.
- Added a privacy warning which allows end-users to control access to their device.
Changes made from version 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52:
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file and double-click on it.
- Once the installation is complete, you may delete the downloaded file.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.