Updates & Downloads
eTrex Venture/Mariner software version 5.20
as of March 18, 2008
Download Preloaded POI Database for eTrex Venture
If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded City POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this City POI database. If you currently have MapSource data loaded into your GPS unit, it will be erased and replaced with this POI database.
Download (1.99 MB)
Download Preloaded POI Database for eTrex Mariner
If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded Marine POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this Marine POI database. If you currently have MapSource data loaded into your GPS unit, it will be erased and replaced with this POI database.
Download (1.86 MB)
View installation instructions and system requirements
- Please note: This version upgrade will clear your unit's user memory. Please back up all user memory prior to upgrading. After data is downloaded to the unit, the unit will take approximately 5 minutes to get a fix and 12 minutes to download almanac data, assuming the unit has a clear view of the sky.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 5.20:
- Updated WAAS.
- Updated GEOID model.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Corrected problem that caused time labels (HRS, MIN, SEC) in some languages to be incorrect.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Fixed potential memory corruption problem that could occur when tracking more
than one WAAS satellite simultaneously.
Changes made from version 2.34 to 2.50:
- Added 8 new languages (Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Hungarian,
Norwegian, Polish, and Portuguese).
- Updated French translations.
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select
the satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the
unit's current position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS
satellite if the unit's current position is outside of a
given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.
- Improved external power detection.
Changes made from version 2.31 to 2.34:
- Improved accuracy of WAAS EPE.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.31:
- Increased measure distance field on map page to 5 characters instead of 4.
- Resolved diamonds displaying in location and turn configurable field.
- Improved functionality of the yards distance mode.
Changes made from version 2.29 to 2.30:
- Improved submerged icon visibility in land mode.
- Added time zones for Auckland, Katmandu, and Helsinki.
- Made the location field a long small number configurable field and also a big number configurable field.
- Created a latitude/longitude configurable field. This allows for viewing two position formats simultaneously.
- Added supports for yards as a distance.
- Added RT 90 grid.
- Various translation updates.
- Fixed area calculation accessory problem with Hungarian language.
- General improvements to operating system that correct system lockups and shutdowns.
Changes made from version 2.28 to 2.29:
- Improved WAAS operation when more than one WAAS satellite is visible.
- Added geocache icons.
- Fixed shutdown problem related to low battery.
Changes made from version 2.26 to 2.28:
- Fixed the pointer field on the compass page.
- Fixed date field so it no longer allows invalid dates on the hunt and fish page.
- Fixed a lock up problem in the track area accessory.
- Saving a point of interest as a waypoint now gives the waypoint a meaningful name.
- Fixed track log so it saves the user setting of on or off after the unit is powered off.
- Fixed problem with overlapping maps where no map detail would be displayed at certain zoom levels.
- Fixed problem with cities coming up with Unknown as their state on find by name.
- Added precision to distance fields.
- Improved German translations.
- Fixed appearance of small compass on Navigation page.
- Fixed shutdown problem.
Changes made from version 2.25 to 2.26:
- Allow negative elevations
- Changed the compass to displays MILS while the unit is set to MILS.
- Fixed the delete notes on the calendar.
- Fixed problem when activating a goto, where the waypoint is not on the active route. Now the route will be deactivated.
- Added new NMEA sentence, PGRMM, for reporting datum parameters.
- Added the ability to select more choices for the configurable fields on the map page, compass page, and trip computer page.
- Added new accessory for calculating area of a track.
- Display the area of a saved track on the track detail page.
- Added measure distance feature to the map page.
- Improved Swedish translations.
Changes made from version 2.24 to 2.25:
- Correctly determine the date the first time satellites are acquired after the unit has been stored without batteries.
Changes made from version 2.23 to 2.24:
- Fixed a problem with the project waypoint feature that occurred when using a north reference other than true north.
- Fixed the Transportation Points of Interest subtype menu to be in the correct order.
- Improved support for the upcoming Points of Interest CD.
- Improved Spanish and French translations.
- Renamed existing Hu-Tzu-Shan datum to Taiwan, and added a new datum named Hu-Tu-Shan, which conforms to the NIMA definition.
Changes made from version 2.22 to 2.23:
- Fixed map update anomaly.
- Fixed map not updating after loading new maps.
- Added support for finding Geographic points if they exist on map.
- Corrected Vertical Speed configurable field that got changed in previous version.
Changes made from version 2.21 to 2.22:
- Fixed bug that was introduced in software version 2.21 that caused the unit to freeze for several minutes when the Poor Satellite Reception page pops up.
- Moved zoom scale back to the lower left-hand corner of the map where it was originally intended.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.21:
- Added multi-language support (French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Swedish).
- Fixed the Turn configurable field so it does not apply north reference offset.
- Added Demo Mode to the System Setup page.
- Added search indicator when doing a Spell 'N Find search.
- Made the cursor movement on the keyboard smoother when doing a Spell 'N Find search.
- Increased list-scrolling speed when doing a Spell 'N Find search.
- Save User Grid Settings.
- Fixed Delete All Waypoints bug that would cause the unit to shut off.
- Added support for the Points of Interest CD.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.20:
- Changed some messages to have a shorter timeout.
- Light key now works while panning on POI.
- Changed default response when deleting a route to 'No'.
- No more long pause when going to the Route Definition Page.
- Changed 'Text' and 'Zoom' to 'Text Size' and 'Max Zoom' on the POI Setup Page.
- Fixed Tracback bug.
- Made improvements to the Hunt and Fish Page.
- Downloading intersections, exits, or other non supported points from MapSource will be converted to user waypoints.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Open the C:\Garmin (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named "Updater" and double click on it.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open serial port. Turn the GPS on, place it in Demo mode (refer to your owner's manual for instructions) and verify that the Interface Mode (found under the Main Menu page, refer to your owner's manual for instructions) is set to GARMIN, GRMN, GRMN/GRMN, or Data Transfer/Host mode.
- Click on the "OK" button on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.