Updates & Downloads
Edge 520 software version 11.10
as of March 29, 2017
View system requirements
- WARNING: If this software is uploaded to a device other than that for which it is designed, you will not be able to operate that device.
- If attempts to upload software fail, you may need to return the device to Garmin® for service.
Changes made from version 11.00 to 11.10:
- Fixed issue causing elevation to be incorrectly offset.
- Fixed minor issues related to Connect IQ.
Changes made from version 10.00 to 11.00:
- New Feature! Added support for Shimano Di2 Synchronized Shift. Graphical Gear data fields will now blink, an alert tone will be played, and a message banner will be displayed to indicate a chain ring shift is upcoming. Synchronized Shift mode can be changed and the alert tones can be disabled through the Shimano Di2 sensor settings.
- Added improvements for ANT+ bike lights. Added new Light Beam Activated and network Light Mode settings to ANT+ Bike Lights sensor settings. You can now configure your lights to turn On with a Timer Start by using the new Light Beam Activated setting and there is also a new Trail Light Mode.
- Added support for Connect IQ version 2.2.3.
- Added segment start points to the map.
- Fixed power zone settings not being retained.
- Fixed compass text in night mode.
Changes made from version 9.10 to 10.00:
- New feature! Incident Detection: in the event of an incident, this feature can send your location to your emergency contacts specified on Garmin Connect Mobile.
- Improvements to Workout Data Screen.
- Improved Grade calculation.
Changes made from version 8.00 to 9.10:
- New feature! Connect IQ 2.2 Support: Connect IQ Apps, Widgets and Data Fields can now communicate with ANT+ Power Meters and Bike Lights that are already connected to your Edge and can also now take advantage of ANT Burst mode. In addition, Apps and Widgets can take advantage of downloadable content and the new Intents system to create new and innovative experiences.
Changes made from version 7.20 to 8.00:
- New feature! Added support for LiveTrack Auto Start.
- Added Distance and Time Ahead/Behind as configurable data fields.
Changes made from version 7.10 to 7.20:
- Fixed several issues and made improvements for Varia Vision.
- Fixed several issues and made improvements for Connect IQ.
- Made improvements to the software update page.
- Added mixed surface ride type.
Changes made from version 7.00 to 7.10:
- Fixed an issue with syncing Connect IQ settings.
- Fixed issue where activities using Connect IQ data fields could be corrupted.
- We apologize for the inconvenience, but this update will require you to pair your Edge and phone after the update.
Changes made from version 6.20 to 7.00:
- New feature! CIQ Apps. This release adds the ability run Connect IQ 2.1 apps, which can be downloaded from Garmin Connect. On the device, apps can be accessed from the Connect IQ menu item.
- New feature! CIQ Widgets. This release adds the ability run Connect IQ 2.1 widgets, which can be downloaded from Garmin Connect. Widgets allow for convenient access to information any time. On the device, widgets are accessible by selecting the Widgets item from the Status Page.
- Improved experience with ANT+ Bontrager Transmitr bike lights.
Changes made from version 6.00 to 6.20:
- New feature! Added the ability to set an activity's Ride Type. Garmin Connect will show this setting in each ride's Activity Type. You can modify the default setting for each Activity Profile and also manually override this value on the save/discard page for each ride. Please note that the following Ride Type settings are not yet supported on Garmin Connect, but will be added in the upcoming weeks: Commuting, eBike, and eMountain.
- Fixed issue where an extra activity profile is created when importing settings from WKO4.
- Added support for four new data fields on the Varia Vision: Gear Battery, Gear Combo, Time in Power Zone 8, and Time in Power Zone 9.
- Fixed issue where CIQ data fields could cause sensor dropouts.
- Improved experience with Bontrager lights.
- Fixed issues with gear shifting data.
Changes made from version 5.30 to 6.00:
- Fixed issue entering data for some settings (Crank Length, Wheel Size, Auto-Pause Speed).
- Fixed issue when switching from one Time in Zone data field to another.
- Fixed various Varia Vision issues.
- Updated to correct software version numbering.
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Varia Vision users: Please update to the latest version of Varia Vision software to maintain compatibility with your Edge.
- Added support for ANT+ shifting, enabling the SRAM RED eTAP and Campagnolo EPS systems. You can now view current gear information such as gear ratio and battery status directly on your device.
- Added compatibility with the new WKO4 Coggan individualized power levels (iLevels) by TrainingPeaks. Users can now update their iLevels directly from WKO4 by syncing through a USB connection. To change between using seven power zones or nine Coggan iLevels, go to My Stats > Training Zones > Power Zones > Configuration.
- Fixed an issue with segment leaderboard and weight file syncing through Garmin Connect Mobile.
- Changed the 'Gear Ratio' data field to be expressed as the front gear size divided by the rear gear size. For example, 52-11 is now 4.7. You can now view the size expressed in gear teeth with the new 'Gear Combo' data field.
- Added support for Connect IQ smartphone API for CIQ developers.
- Fixed editing CIQ data field settings on Garmin Connect Mobile.
- Improved the software update process by skipping the initial setup wizard after completing an update.
- Added Firstbeat settings file storage to allow the VO2Max value to be preserved when updating software.
- Changed call and text prompts to require a key press to dismiss so they are not missed.
- Made data entry improvements so leading zeroes are not required for numerical values. For values that require a decimal, this key can be found in the numerical keyboard.
- Changed software updates to require accepting a prompt on the Edge 520 to install. Updates on the device will not automatically install. Please note that this change will affect installing the next update, not this one.
- Fixed an issue with course time for Garmin Connect courses.
Changes made from version 4.10 to 5.20:
- Added support for Connect IQ data fields. On the Edge 520, you can have four Connect IQ data fields active at a time. To install Connect IQ data fields, manage your Edge 520 in Garmin Connect Mobile or Garmin Express. After installing data fields, they will be available in the 'Connect IQ' category when selecting data fields to put on a data screen.
- Fixed a bug preventing the Vector installation angle wizard from advancing.
- Fixed a bug causing the 'Next:' field in a workout to show incorrect information when a series of steps are repeated.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 4.10:
- Added support for Varia Vision. Pair with this sensor by turning it on and going to Settings > Sensors > Add Sensor > Varia Vision. Choose it from your list of sensors to configure its display settings and data screens.
- Improved stability of ANT+ sensor and Bluetooth connections to address dropout issues.
- Added the ability to automatically download software updates over Bluetooth. You will be able to download the next software update after this one by pairing to a smartphone and connecting to the Garmin Connect Mobile app. Updates can be installed when you are prompted after they download. If you choose to wait, updates ready to install can be found in Menu > Settings > About > System > Software Update.
- Fixed an issue causing some manual activity uploads over Bluetooth to fail.
- Fixed an issue causing GPS to be enabled on the 'Indoor' profile after a power cycle.
- Fixed an issue causing course point information to appear with the 'Course Points' toggle turned off.
- Fixed an issue preventing the device from transitioning back to the correct data page after showing segment prompts with the map disabled.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Improved Varia bike light network performance when using multiple lights and a radar. You must update your Varia Rearview Radar to software version 3.00 to maintain compatibility with Edge.
- A new Radar sensor type has been added and new radar settings are available under Sensor Details that allow you to control radar tones, color overlay, and vehicle column position. These settings are available only after updating your Varia Rearview Radar to software version 3.00 or greater.
- Reduced radar overlay obstruction while you are stopped and trying to use the menus.
- Improved the light sensor menu and refined light mode options, adding a high visibility mode.
- Added an improvement to simplify changing segment goals during a ride. While the message that you are approaching a segment is displayed, press the Enter (top-right) button to immediately bring up the page to change the segment goal type.
- Added a toggle for workout target zone alerts. Go to Menu > Settings > Activity Profiles > [Profile Name] > Alerts. 'Workout Target Alerts' will control whether or not you see alerts for being outside a target zone value during a workout while using this profile.
- Added the ability to take pictures with a connected Virb. This item appears on the Status page with the Virb recording control.
- Added the option to always receive a prompt to calibrate a paired power meter when the Edge 520 finds it and the timer is not running. Go to Menu > Settings > Sensor > [Power Meter] > Sensor Details. 'Calibration Prompts' will control this setting on this power meter.
- Updated the Auto Sleep time to five minutes.
- Fixed a bug preventing alert pages from displaying correctly in night mode.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 3.00:
- Added support for Varia Smart Bike Lights. Now you can form a network of lights including head lights, tail lights, and a rearview radar tail light.
- Added support for sensor software updates
- Added the ability to edit crank length for PowerTap P1 pedals
- Added dynamic zooming while displaying the elevation graph during an activity
- Added a Percent Effort option for adjusting the virtual partner speed when following a course
- Added a preview of an incoming text to smart notifications
- Updated the FTP test to include setting a goal and accepting or declining the test results
- Fixed an issue preventing accurate data from being displayed with an HRM-Run
- Fixed an issue preventing the elevation graph from being drawn correctly
- Fixed an issue where segments would randomly not start
- Fixed an issue where courses would sometimes not start at a point along the course but away from the start location
- Improved device performance with many segments loaded
- Improved device performance while navigating through the list of courses
- Improved stability of device-to-device transfers
- Various fixes for general improvements to stability and performance
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.