Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 276C software version 5.70
as of May 13, 2013
View installation instructions and system requirements
- WARNING: If you are updating from a previous software version, this software may clear user memory.
- Please back up important data (routes, tracks, and waypoints) to MapSource prior to updating.
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
- Support for new 010-10517-02 battery pack
Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition processing
- Updated magnetic variation table with IGRF 2010 model
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.50:
- Added support for large NAND datacards
- Improved power-up processing
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Improved battery gauge accuracy
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Improved compatibility with 512MB data card
- Improved unit behavior when a blank data card is inserted
- Improved display of battery charge level
Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:
- Corrected address search operation with MPC maps.
Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.10:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition under certain conditions.
- Added support for City Navigator update DVD.
Changes made from version 4.90 to 5.00:
- Corrected external voltage alarm persistent behavior between power cycles.
- Corrected state and country information for city searches.
Changes made from version 4.80 to 4.90:
- Improved NMEA output.
- Daylight saving changes for United States.
- Added Mexican time zones.
Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:
- Corrected 'persist' setting for external voltage alarm.
- Improved ability to move user waypoints while editing a route.
Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.70:
- Improved display of recommended route lines on marine charts.
- Improved operation when moving user waypoints with the map cursor.
- Corrected issue with changing usage mode from the Setup tab of the main menu.
Changes made from version 4.50 to 4.60:
- Corrected issue that could cause 'WorldMap' series maps from being displayed.
- Increased the number of characters allowed to display map zoom status.
- Corrected text translations.
- Clear trip data to correct issue with previously stored data.
- Added Czech voice support.
Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
- Corrected issue in previous software revision that could cause some unit settings to be restored to defaults.
- Corrected issue in previous software revision that could prevent the time zone from being changed.
- Corrected issue that could cause the odometer field value to become inaccurate.
- Corrected occasional unit shutdown during powerup.
- Improved address search when using postal codes.
- Updated text translations.
Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.40:
- Changed distance displayed when measuring distance on the map page to use two digits of precision in marine mode.
- Improved performance of Marine Services search.
Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.30:
- Fixed SBAS compatibility issues with the Japanese MSAS system.
Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.10:
- Improved display of lake depth contours.
- Improved TracBack when using the entire track.
- Improved GPS reception.
Changes made from version 3.70 to 4.00:
- Added Iceland time zone.
- Added support for latest Garmin map technology.
- Added ability to select units used for displaying vertical speed.
- Added ability to quickly select entire track for use with TracBack.
- Improved voice guidance for road routes.
- Improved Compass page in Automotive mode.
- Improved Sonar page.
- Improved Find menu.
- Improved map selection when changing usage modes.
- Corrected issue that could prevent some message log filter settings from being saved.
- Corrected issue that could cause unit to shut down when using the Highway page.
- Corrected issue with waypoint timestamp updates when transferring from Mapsource.
- Corrected display of 'L' symbol in Turn data field.
- Corrected display of 'Route Truncated' and similar messages when using USB.
- Corrected display of cardinal direction on map page when measuring distance.
- Corrected duplicate waypoint creation with GPWPL NMEA sentence input.
- Corrected hilight movement problem on proximity waypoint page.
- Corrected invalid display of Next Turn data field.
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Corrected issues with address search.
- Corrected issue with incorrect battery timer display.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Added output of NMEA APB sentence.
- Corrected issue with restoring defaults on Com setup pages.
- Corrected issue that could cause 'lock to road' setting in Automotive mode to be reset.
- Corrected issue that could cause unit to power off when editing information on the Welcome setup page.
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Improved visibility of airport runways on detailed maps.
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:
- Removed possibility of accidentally enabling 'Lock To Roads' when not in Automotive mode.
- Added configurable field for UTC Time.
- Improved Low Battery warning message.
- Fixed nav alarms (next turn, arrival, off course, and anchor drag).
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
- Added support for German tide stations.
- Added support for more time zones.
- Added support for NMEA BWC and extended DSC (DSE) sentences.
- Added support for LakeMaster maps.
- Added ability to select a particular map family when performing an address search.
- Added ability to stop navigation from the Current Route page when in Automotive mode.
- Improved accuracy of track log generation.
- Improved readability of owner information text during powerup.
- Improved USB transfers from MapSource.
- Increased resolution of distance fields when in Marine mode.
- Corrected shutdown that could occur when performing a TracBack in Automotive mode.
- Corrected shutdown that could occur on the Line tab of the Map Setup page.
- Corrected default Nearest Type selection on Position page.
- Corrected display of map outlines.
- Corrected functioning of Off-Course alarm.
- Corrected date display on Celestial pages.
- Improved display of street addresses in Find menu.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Fixed GPS unit-to-unit transfer of user data.
- Fixed handling of display-options menu on the volume/backlight page.
- Fixed waypoint category highlight error when dealing with a large category list.
- Fixed problem where 'Searching' text would be displayed without results when performing a 'find'.
- Added 'Show on Map' option to menu of the Tide Review page.
- Added Sonar tab page to the Main Menu in Marine mode.
- Improved readability of scroll bar arrows in Night mode.
- Darkened Automotive mode Metro Area colors in Night mode.
- Restored Find menu functionality when projecting a waypoint position.
- When projecting a waypoint, the navigation context is now consistent.
- Restored ability to download almanac data.
- Added translations for the Greek language and updated other languages' translations.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Fixed problem that could cause the unit to turn off when the map heading line is enabled.
- Fixed problem that would prevent changing the CDI scale using the zoom in/out keys in Marine mode.
- Improved readability of map label text in Automotive mode.
- Fixed the Sun & Moon page to update the date and time when using the 'Play' and 'Fast Forward' buttons.
- Corrected 'find' operation behavior when a diacritic character is highligted.
- Changed to use 24x24 custom waypoint symbol in connection with xImage.
- Fixed functionality of projecting a waypoint by using the find menu.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 3.00:
- Added support for remote sonar.
- Added Marine DSC support.
- Added new distance and speed unit, nautical (nm, kt, m).
- Added Custom Avoids and Custom Road preferences to Road Routing setup.
- Added calendar pages (day, week, and month) to the main menu.
- Added column titles to the Add/Edit Vias page.
- Added option to Point Review pages to 'Add to Current Route' when navigating an auto-route.
- Added carpool lanes to avoid options in Road Routing setup.
- Added auto backlight adjustment based on sunrise and sunset.
- Added 'voice prompt' option to Sound setup; now provides ability to limit or prevent voice prompts.
- Added output rate configuration to the Advanced NMEA setup page.
- Added support for non-U.S. time zones.
- Added GPS status to the list of configurable data fields.
- Added support for selecting active track color.
- Added choice to Routes Setup to transition waypoints by distance when navigating a manual route.
- Added options to Volume/Light control page to go to Sound or Display setup menus.
- Increased number of proximity waypoints to 100.
- Turned on altitude recording in the active track log and saved tracks.
- Fixed 'hide/show all' options on the Map Information page.
- Fixed 'lock to road' option so unit remembers user's changes to it.
- Popup text on the map page is positioned to avoid appearing under the cursor.
- Fixed problem preventing user from editing the elevation of user waypoints.
- Added ability to move waypoints in active manual routes.
- Enabled Odometer as a configurable field in Marine mode.
- Fixed address searches so number field will show all valid characters.
- Fixed issue with Map setup that prevented the user for changing the Marine navaid symbol set.
- Added support for auto CDI scale setting.
- Modified Route list page to indicates an active route with an icon to the left of the route name.
- Fixed highlight movement bug on proximity waypoints page.
- Fixed shutdown when clearing active track log.
- Fixed TracBack operation for large tracks.
- Added Marine timer as a page layout for the Compass page.
- Fixed functionality of deleting waypoints by category.
- Added blank configuration field for 'map with overlay' layout.
- Fixed issue with Indonesian Southern grid being located in the wrong area.
- Updated language translations.
- Fixed issue with displaying BlueChart data without water color.
- Fixed shutdown when attempting to view the map families via the Data Card Information page.
- Corrected problem with on route gotos.
- Fixed problem with autoroute icon not showing up for all saved autoroutes.
- Corrected problem with routes transferred from MapSource that show improper Distance and ETE values.
- Fixed problem on the Active Route page that prevented the 'change data fields' option from working properly.
- Corrected the way the date is displayed on the Calendar page to be consistent with other pages.
- Fixed problem with display of the Find menu from the month tab of the calendar.
- Fixed problem with TracBacks on large saved tracks.
- Improved backlight auto-adjustment feature; this feature is now turned off by default.
- Added standard European and Australian time zones.
- Fixed Daylight Savings to work correctly in the Southern hemisphere.
- Fixed shutdowns while driving in Automotive mode without a route active.
- Fixed problem with entering dates on the Sun and Moon page.
- Fixed the 'point review page' option 'append to route' to correctly add the point to the end of the selected route.
- Fixed problem with Edit Via page displaying the pointer improperly.
- Fixed shutdown when attempting to view the Log Filter tab on the main menu Message Tab.
- Fixed problem with Calendar Day page not always displaying the items.
- Simplified fuel timer control on the timer setup tab page.
- Added range tick marks to heading line.
- Changed metro area color to improve visibility.
- Added cardinal direction indicator to Position page's 'nearest point' display.
- Fixed unwanted characters that could appear in waypoint comment when saving a waypoint from an address.
- Fixed possible display problems on the Saved Tracks page.
- Fixed possible date display problems on Tide page.
- Improved 'Proximity Alarm Memory is Full' message to appear everytime when trying to upload proximity waypoints to the unit once maximum limit has reached.
- Changed Data Card Information page into Map Information page to include version information for all map data (basemap).
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Fixed problem with display of hyphen when using German.
- Fixed problem with Mapsource data transfer where unit would not accept maps and waypoints at the same time.
- Fixed problem occurring in German, French, Spanish, Polish, and Portuguese. If the 276C was set to one of these languages listed, and you attempted to reset the max speed within the trip computer, the 276C would lock up.
- Corrected problem when transitioning from the charging screen and attached to external power.
- Improved handling and display of routes created on the PC and transferred to the unit.
- Corrected problem on celestial pages which could cause the unit to shut down during cursor movement.
- Unit no longer attempts to convert a Tracback route to a road route when switching from marine mode to automotive.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Increased maximum number of maps displayed.
- Removed delay which sometimes occured when changing interface formats.
- Fixed problem that may have occurred when swapping cards during a simulated route.
- Fixed problem that occurred when using the elevation field in the overlay map view in automotive mode.
- Added alert message to indicate when the user timer has expired.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file for your GPSMAP276C onto your hard drive.
- Connect your GPSMAP276C to a free USB or serial port on your PC with the correct PC interface cable.
- Turn on your GPSMAP276C.
If you are using USB, ensure it shows USB as connected when the cable is plugged in.
If you are using serial, ensure the Serail Data Format is set to 'Garmin Data Transfer' for the port you are using. You can find this setting on the 'Com 1' or 'Com 2' tab of the 'Setup' section of the Main Menu.
- Open the self-extracting archive file and follow the instructions provided by the update application.
During the upload, the GPSMAP276C's display will indicate 'Software Loading....' The upload process should take 1-10 minutes to complete, depending on interface used for update. When the upload is completed, the GPSMAP276C will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.