Updates & Downloads
VIRB Edit for Mac software version 4.1.1
as of September 9, 2016
View installation instructions
VIRB Edit combines your video footage with GPS and other data from either the VIRB Action Camera or a compatible Garmin device. The result is a rich video experience that you can easily share and post online.
- Add gauges and graphs to your video to show speed, elevation, heart rate, g-force, lap times and more.
- Add text and titles to your video
- Trim, reorder and stitch clips together.
- Associate your GPS data with your video.
- Adjust the volume and speed of individual clips.
- Add music to your video.
- Publish directly to YouTube or Facebook or export to your computer for easy online sharing.
- System Requirements:
Mac OS X running OS 10.10 or higher.
Screen Resolution: 1280 x 720
Changes made from version 4.1.0 to 4.1.1:
- Improved support for device firmware updates
- Fixed crash issue when upgrading database from before version 4.1
- G-Metrix Improvements
Changes made from version 3.6.0 to 4.1.0:
- Allow updating cameras from within the application (without invoking WebUpdater).
- Auto-create videos based on detected highlights.
- Optimize videos on import to allow for more performant editing.
- VIRB Ultra 30 support:
- UHD video playback, editing, and export
- Favorite clips
- Manual highlights
- Import camera-generated optimized videos
- Multi-cam improvements:
- Video mirroring (for reverse cam)
- Faster, simpler, and more reliable detection
- Added built-in music tracks to add to videos
- Added ability to set a point for relative elevation
- Elevation shows 0 at that point
- Can force positive-only numbers
- Automatically select default template based on available G-Metrix
- Added optional Garmin-branded videos for export
Changes made from version 3.5.0 to 3.6.0:
- Added support for cycling dynamics.
- Added elevation filtering based on accuracy of GPS signal.
- Speed from an external speed sensor, if one is attached, is now displayed over speed from GPS.
- Stability improvements.
Changes made from version 3.4.0 to 3.5.0:
- Added functionality to migrate data from one machine to another.
- Added feedback when rotating G-Metrix by 180 degrees.
- Fixed an issue with thumbnail generation.
- Fixed an issue with the circuit track gauge where the position marker could get off track.
- Fixed an issue where changing a media library folder would not prompt to migrate media files.
Changes made from version 3.3.1 to 3.4.0:
- Automatically filter out templates and gauges that don't match the current video's G-Metrix.
- Added Circuit Shape gauge for laps.
- Improved G-Force display, it's now much less noisy.
- Improved pitch and roll calculation (better use of gyroscope data).
- Improved grade calculation.
- Fixed issue with title changes not being saved
- Performance improvements
Changes made from version 3.2.0 to 3.3.1:
- Added support for merging G-Metrix data from different sources (like adding cadence from an Edge to VIRB X acceleration).
- Improved reliability and performance for displaying G-Metrix.
- Improved usability and reliability of Garmin Connect integration.
- Added support for choosing between FIT speed, calculated 2D and 3D speed.
- Re-added time display to G-Metrix Sync and Activity Start Time pages.
- Improved speed of loading G-Metrix templates.
- Added elevation data to GPX export.
- Added support for photo and video library existing on different physical storage devices
- Improved El Capitan support
- Performance improvements
Changes made from version 3.1.0 to 3.2.0:
- Added feature to share with Garmin Connect
- Added feature to export GPX file along with edited video
- Added feature to remember the timeline zoom level per project
- Added ability to choose quality of exported video file
- Added ability to scroll the timeline with the mouse wheel
- Added ability to export videos at higher frame rates when video playback-rate is increased
- Improved handling of very large FIT files
- Changed aviation force gauge unit to g's from m/s^2.
- Changed to prompt the user to switch to the import page when a camera is connected
- Changed the clip library view to sort clips from oldest to newest
- Fixed issue with photos not synching properly with fit files
- Fixed issue with overlays not showing on the photo-clips being shared
- Fixed issue with the last import clip being lost when changing the photo and video storage locations
- Fixed issue with the app hanging after removing the clip storage device during an import
- Fixed issue with the video preview player disappearing
- Fixed various issues
Changes made from version 3.0.1 to 3.1.0:
- Added Norwegian(Bokmal) localization
- Added aviation G-Metrix and gauges
- Added marine G-Metrix and gauges
- Added ability to control playback from the map marker again
- .glv files are now deleted from the VIRB X and XE when their videos are removed
- Improved the jump and rotation algorithms
- Improved timeline behavior: selection now updates based on playback
- Improved search filter behavior for Overlay Templates
- Improved playback performance of sped up clips
- Fixed items in Last Import being out of order
- Fixed clips ignoring 'Rotate 180' settings when playing back on the GPS Sync or Activity Start Time screens
- Fixed titles all showing at once in clips with no G-Metrix
- Fixed titles sometimes falling off the back of the video and becoming not-selectable when deleting clips
- Fixed hang after 'Examining Clips' on the device import screen
- Fixed hangs when editing clips or loading gauges
- Fixed drag and drop of multiple items in the media library
- Fixed various issues
Changes made from version 2.9.2 to 3.0.1:
- New, clearer application design and video editing timeline
- Added support for duplicating, splitting, and trimming clips in the timeline via context menu
- Added a new 'G-Metrix' tab to display what kind of data is available in the current clip's G-Metrix log
- Added support for VIRB X/XE action cameras
- Added easy switching between clips recorded at the same time by automatically detecting and aligning videos that start and end within 4 seconds of each other
- Added support for adding photos to videos
- Added photo sharing
- Added 'bookmark' camera icons in the video editing timeline for photos taken on VIRB X/XE cameras while a video clip was recording
- Added support for multiple photo/clip selection in the Media Library to make it easier to delete or add multiple photos/clips at once
- Added support for multiple video selection in the Gallery
- Added support for gauges and graphs of OBD-II data
- Added support for gauges displaying HRM-Run's running oscillation and stance time data
- Fixed compass 'bearing' gauges spinning while stopped
- Fixed various G-Metrix alignment issues
- Fixed various gauge data display issues
Changes made from version 2.9.1 to 2.9.2:
- Fixed various import and application startup bugs.
Changes made from version 2.8.0 to 2.9.1:
- Added the ability to download new gauges.
- Added a second accent color to customize gauges.
- Added support in Gauge Builder for moving gauge components with the mouse.
- Added the ability to get information about clips.
- Map now pans to keep marker visible while playing a video.
- Fixed various bugs.
Changes made from version 2.7.0 to 2.8.0:
- Added Gauge Builder, an application to easily create custom gauges.
- Added support for custom gauge fonts.
- Added support for a second accent color in gauges.
- Added animation strip functionality to gauges.
- Added a prompt when trying to exit the application while exporting.
- Fixed UI issues in OS X Yosemite.
Changes made from version 2.6.0 to 2.7.0:
- Added graphs
- Added lap data gauges
- Added undo/redo for edit mode
- Added miscellaneous new gauges and templates
- Added the ability to save individual frames of the video as a picture with gauges and location data
- Video sharing services can now be picked directly from the editing or playback views
- New titles now use your last used title settings
- Fixed a problem where GPS data could fail to display for some clips after they were added to videos
- Fixed GPS sync issues that could occur when using transitions
- Fixed other miscellaneous issues
Changes made from version 2.5.3 to 2.6.0:
- Added clip transitions
- Added ability to share on Facebook
- Added ability to export at different frame rates
- Added export video size estimate
- Added gauges that went missing in the last release
- Fixed title positions changing when exporting or reloading a video
- Fixed an issue where duration and elapsed time would not work properly across clip boundaries
- Fixed Baidu maps potentially not loading in China
- Fixed issues in GPS log alignment
- VIRB Edit can now find gauges in subfolders of the user gauge folder
Changes made from version 2.5.2 to 2.5.3:
Changes made from version 2.4.0 to 2.5.2:
- VIRB Edit is now a 64-bit app.
- Added support for rotating video and g-force readings 180 degrees.
- Added support for text titles.
- Added per-day clip organization.
- Added support for bulk deletion of unused clips ('Delete Unused' in the context menu for Clip Library folders).
- Improved upload performance of exported movies, via both the built in YouTube upload option and standard export.
- Improved feedback for export failures.
- Fixed issue where acceleration data could fail to display in some clips in videos with a shared track.
- Fixed various export errors.
- Fixed various other bugs.
Changes made from version 2.3.0 to 2.4.0:
- Added support for Baidu maps (China).
- Added support for Youku videos (China).
- Added support for Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian.
- Added gauges for distance and elapsed time (counted across clip boundaries).
- Added a tab to pick starting position of track for calculating distance and other stats.
- Changed the default template to something more exciting.
- Added a handful of new templates.
- Added more gauges in different styles.
- Added special gauges for temperature.
- Added a gauge for time with seconds.
- Added dynamic interval marking to left and right tape gauges.
- Added the ability to export GPS Logs directly from the clip library.
- Fixed an issue where VIRB Edit would try to import clips even when there was not enough room.
- Reworked layout of the 'Import Selection' page.
- Updated the YouTube upload framework to improve YouTube performance.
- Added the option for users to save the prepared file if YouTube upload failed after export completed.
- Added better handling of missing clips.
- 'Import Other...' now always copies the clip (and GPS files) when manually importing from VIRB.
- 'Import Other...' now asks the user whether to copy the imported clip file or link to it.
- Fixed bugs that led incorrect playback while editing videos.
- Fixed bugs that led to failed exports.
Changes made from version 2.2.2 to 2.3.0:
- Added customizable video overlays. You can now add, move and delete gauges.
- Added a lot more gauges, temperature is now supported.
- Added ability to save and re-use custom video overlay templates.
- Added ability to easily import tracks from attached Garmin devices.
- Fixed QuickTime-related playback and video editing crashes.
- Fixed some errant behavior for g-force gauges.
- Fixed export for pace gauges.
- Fixed some more export issues.
Changes made from version 2.2.1 to 2.2.2:
- Added support for four Asian languages.
- Improved automatic alignment of tracks to videos.
Changes made from version 2.1.0 to 2.2.1:
- Added overlay gauge templates.
- Added separate preference for altitude units
- Added option for nautical units.
- Added capability to select which clips to import from a camera.
- Added option to show satellite imagery on Bing maps.
- Fixed a number of video export issues in 10.9 (Mavericks)
Changes made from version 2.0.0 to 2.1.0:
- Added capability to add music to videos.
- Added overlays for display of power and G-force.
- Added capability to check for VIRB device software updates.
- Added a play/pause button to the clip edit view.
- Improved multi-resolution video export performance.
- Improved video editing performance.
- Fixed an issue with not being able to reorder clips.
- Fixed issues with synching playback and clip selection.
- Fixed an issue where the playback position was reset when the clip speed was changed.
- Fixed a number of minor user interface issues.