Updates & Downloads
VIRB Edit for Windows software version 4.2.3
as of December 20, 2016
View installation instructions
- VIRB Edit combines your video footage with GPS and other data from either the VIRB Action Camera or a compatible Garmin device. The result is a rich video experience that you can easily share and post online.
- Features include:
- Trim, reorder and stitch clips together
- Adjust the volume and speed of individual clips
- Publish directly to YouTube or export to your computer for easy online sharing
- Minimum System Requirements
- Operating system: Windows 7 SP1 or newer
- Processor: 1.5 GHz dual-core
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics card: Intel HD 4000 or better (when plugged into external power), nVidia GeForce GT 530 or better, AMD Radeon 6570 or better. DirectX 10+ recommended.
- Graphics memory: 1 GB DDR3 RAM
- Screen Resolution: 1280 x 720
- Hard drive: 16 GB free storage space
- Software: Windows Media Player 11 or newer, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6
- A PDF viewer is required to access Gauge Builder's documentation.
- If a compatible version of Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed, it will be installed during the VIRB Edit software installation.
Changes made from version 4.2.2 to 4.2.3:
- Fixed sharing photos to Facebook
- Fixed title sorting when opening the Titles tab
- Fixed insert location when video clips are dragged and dropped on the Timeline
- Fixed export crash issue
Changes made from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2:
- Fixed mapping for Simplified and Traditional Chinese language
Changes made from version 4.1.1 to 4.2.1:
- G-Metrix: Added jump detection for mountain biking and wakeboarding
- Added VIRB Ultra logos
- VIRB Edit will now attempt to default to the correct unit settings (e.g. metric vs. statute)
- Updated settings page to make tabbed interface more apparent
- Moved 'Export transparent PNG sequence for overlays' checkbox to export page (from settings)
- Fixed Multi-Cam when doing 'Import Other' (as opposed to importing from a VIRB directly)
- Fixed gauge and template downloads
- Fixed order when dragging several photos from a time-lapse onto the time-line
- Fixed G-Metrix display for uploads onto Garmin Connect when a bumper video was added
- Fixed several translations and cut-off strings
- Fixed incompatibility with FIPS that could lead to crashes
- Added warning when VIRB Edit detects incompatible 3rd party apps (AMD's PlaysTV)
- Fixed various other issues
Changes made from version 4.1.0 to 4.1.1:
- Improved software update for VIRB Cameras
- Various bug fixes
- Various localization fixes
Changes made from version 3.6.0 to 4.1.0:
- Allow updating cameras from within the application (without invoking WebUpdater)
- Auto-create videos based on detected highlights
- Optimize videos on import to allow for more performant editing
- VIRB Ultra 30 support:
- UHD video playback, editing, and export
- Favorite clips
- Manual highlights
- Import camera-generated optimized videos
- Multi-cam improvements:
- Video mirroring (for reverse cam)
- Faster, simpler, and more reliable detection
- Added built-in music tracks to add to videos
- Added ability to set a point for relative elevation:
- Elevation shows 0 at that point
- Can force positive-only numbers
- Automatically select default template based on available G-Metrix
- Added optional Garmin-branded videos for export
Changes made from version 3.5.2 to 3.6.0:
- Added support for cycling dynamics.
- Added elevation filtering based on accuracy of GPS signal.
- Speed from an external speed sensor, if one is attached, is now displayed over speed from GPS.
- Improved performance when using the ffmpeg decoder.
- Fixed an issue where no video was displayed when we had trouble reading audio.
- Fixed issue with static sound in audio during a video transition using the ffmpeg decoder.
Changes made from version 3.5.0 to 3.5.2:
- Fixed export error due to audio mixer issue.
- Fixed an issue with creating thumbnails for timeline.
- Fixed poor audio quality with certain clips using ffmpeg.
- Increased memory limit past 1.3GB, this should make VIRB Edit more stable.
Changes made from version 3.4.2 to 3.5.0:
- Added functionality to migrate data from one machine to another.
- Added feedback when rotating G-Metrix by 180 degrees.
- Fixed an issue with thumbnail generation.
- Fixed an issue with the circuit track gauge where the position marker could get off track.
- Fixed an issue when trying to export a 1440p video using the Media Foundation Encoder on Windows 7.
Changes made from version 3.4.0 to 3.4.2:
- Fixed issue with dates and times not obeying localization settings.
- Fixed an intermittent export error that would cause random failures.
- Fixed issue where exports would fail if running VIRB Edit directly from the installer.
Changes made from version 3.3.2 to 3.4.0:
- Added ability to toggle video encoders and decoders between FFmpeg and Media Foundation.
- Automatically filter out templates and gauges that don't match the current video's G-Metrix.
- Added Circuit Shape gauge for laps.
- Improved G-Force display, it's now much less noisy.
- Improved pitch and roll calculation (better use of gyroscope data).
- Improved grade calculation.
- Improved undo/redo performance.
Changes made from version 3.3.1 to 3.3.2:
- Fixed an issue with correctly displaying lap data
- Fixed playback speed issues in export
- Fixed various other issues
Changes made from version 3.2.0 to 3.3.1:
- Added support for exporting files greater than 4GB on Windows 7 (was already working on 8 and 10).
- Added support for importing files greater than 4GB.
- Added support for merging G-Metrix data from different sources (like adding cadence from an Edge to VIRB X acceleration).
- Added support for choosing between FIT speed, calculated 2D and 3D speed.
- Added elevation data to GPX export.
- Re-added time display to G-Metrix Sync and Activity Start Time pages.
- Improved reliability and performance for displaying G-Metrix.
- Improved usability and reliability of Garmin Connect integration.
- Improved speed of loading G-Metrix templates.
- Improved start-up time for users with lots of clips.
- Fixed an issue where gauges weren't exported in the correct language.
Changes made from version 3.1.0 to 3.2.0:
- Added feature to share with Garmin Connect
- Added feature to duplicate projects
- Added ability to playback videos at 1440p resolution on Windows 7
- Added feature to export GPX file along with edited video
- Added feature to remember the timeline zoom level per project
- Added ability to choose quality of exported video file
- Improved handling of very large FIT files
- Changed aviation force gauge unit to g's from m/s^2.
- Changed to prompt the user to switch to the import page when a camera is connected
- Fixed issue that could cause a hang shortly after app startup
- Fixed issue with audio dropping out during clip transitions
- Fixed issue when the camera is removed prior to import being complete
- Fixed issue with having a photo without G-Metrix in a project
- Fixed issue with volume or playback speed changes sometimes not being saved
- Fixed issue with reading corrupted settings files
Changes made from version 3.0.1 to 3.1.0:
- Added Norwegian(Bokmal) localization
- Added aviation G-Metrix and gauges
- Added marine G-Metrix and gauges
- Added ability to control playback from the map marker again
- Added ability to export at 240 frames per second
- Re-added logo and track gauges
- .glv files are now deleted from the VIRB X and XE when their videos are removed
- Improved the jump and rotation algorithms
- Improved timeline behavior: selection now updates based on playback
- Fixed issue when VIRB Edit would sometimes freeze on start-up
- Fixed playback always showing a time of '0:00' when paused
- Fixed issue where gauges would sometimes not animate
- Fixed sharing on YouTube
- Fixed sharing of un-edited clips causing a crash
Changes made from version 2.9.2 to 3.0.1:
- New, clearer application design and video editing timeline
- Added support for duplicating, splitting, and trimming clips in the timeline via context menu
- Added a new 'G-Metrix' tab to display what kind of data is available in the current clip's G-Metrix log
- Added support for VIRB X/XE action cameras
- Added easy switching between clips recorded at the same time by automatically detecting and aligning videos that start and end within 4 seconds of each other
- Added support for adding photos to videos
- Added photo sharing
- Added 'bookmark' camera icons in the video editing timeline for photos taken on VIRB X/XE cameras while a video clip was recording
- Added support for multiple photo/clip selection in the Media Library to make it easier to delete or add multiple photos/clips at once
- Added support for multiple video selection in the Gallery
- Added support for gauges and graphs of OBD-II data
- Added support for gauges displaying HRM-Run's running oscillation and stance time data
- Playback now stops at final frame. Playing from this point restarts the video from the beginning.
- Fixed compass 'bearing' gauges spinning while stopped
- Fixed various G-Metrix alignment issues
Changes made from version 2.9.1 to 2.9.2:
- Restored default template when creating a new video or playing a clip.
- Fixed export issues caused by running out of memory.
Changes made from version 2.8.0 to 2.9.1:
- Added capability to export a project as a set of transparent PNG files that only contain the gauges (for use in other video editing tools).
- Added capability to download additional additional templates and gauges.
- In edit mode, you can now right-click on a gauge and choose to delete it (as an alternative to using the Delete key).
- The position marker on the map will now stay in view when playing back a clip or video.
- Changed minimum screen resolution to 1280 x 720.
- Gauge Builder UI Improvements.
- Improved performance and responsiveness of the video player. Seeking should work much better.
- Improved start-up time and memory usage.
- Fixed issues with disappearing overlays.
- Fixed some export issues when creating transitions.
- Fixed issue with importing videos with overlapping file names.
- Fixed wrong background color for library that was occurring on some pages.
- Fixed crashes that would occur when deleting or moving a file while VIRB Edit was using it.
- Made the map less obnoxious. It should now stay hidden if you choose to hide it.
Changes made from version 2.7.1 to 2.8.0:
- Added Gauge Builder, an application to easily create custom gauges.
- Gauge improvements
- Added support for custom fonts.
- Added support for a second accent color.
- Added animation strip functionality.
- Added a prompt when trying to exit the application while exporting.
- Added undo/redo for edit mode.
- Added support for moving gauges in full screen.
- Added display of gauges when aligning.
- Improved handling of databases with lots of clips.
- Faster start-up time.
- Less memory consumption.
- Export more robust.
- Many out of memory crashes fixed.
- Increased size of video when editing on small screens.
- Fixed Baidu map display in China.
- Fixed various issues with gauge data not properly aligning with video.
Changes made from version 2.7.0 to 2.7.1:
- Fixed crash when taking a video snapshot
- Fixed crash when quickly launching and closing a preview player
- Fixed crash when changing projects quickly
- Fixed incorrect data on export when using clip transitions
- Improved export stability
Changes made from version 2.6.2 to 2.7.0:
- Added graphs
- Added lap data gauges
- Added the ability to save individual frames of the video during edit mode, with gauges and location data
- Added Vimeo support
- Video sharing services can now be picked directly from the editing or playback views
- New titles now use your last used title settings
- Fixed many playback crashes
- Fixed a problem where GPS data could fail to display for some clips after they were added to videos
- Fixed GPS sync issues that could occur when using transitions
- Fixed other miscellaneous issues
- Improved gauge rendering performance
- Improved export performance
- Improved playback performance
Changes made from version 2.5.1 to 2.6.2:
- Added clip transitions
- Added ability to share on Facebook
- Added ability to export at different frame rates
- Added export video size estimate
- Added dialog to view clip properties
- Added gauges that went missing in the last release
- Fixed title positions changing when exporting or reloading a video
- Fixed an issue where duration and elapsed time would not work properly across clip boundaries
- Fixed Baidu maps potentially not loading in China
- Fixed some memory usage issues during export
- Fixed performance and reliability of video player
Changes made from version 2.5.0 to 2.5.1:
- Added new gauges and templates.
Changes made from version 2.4.0 to 2.5.0:
- Added support for text titles.
- Added DirectX accelerated video exporting to improve overall performance.
- Added ability to resize the bottom workspace area.
- Added support for bulk deletion of unused clips ('Delete Unused' in the context menu for Clip Library folders).
- Added support for rotating video and g-force readings 180 degrees.
- Added per-day clip organization.
- Adjusting track alignment is now more granular.
- Fixed an issue where some information from FIT files was lost when adding a FIT file as a GPS log.
- Fixed forward and back button on Distance/Elapsed time alignment
- Fixed various issues with track data not being synchronized with videos.
- Fixed fast HD videos with overlays.
Changes made from version 2.3.2 to 2.4.0:
- Added support for Baidu maps (China).
- Added support for Youku videos (China).
- Added support for Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian.
- Added a tab to pick starting position of track for calculating distance and other stats.
- Added the ability to export GPS Logs directly from the clip library.
- Added way to turn on extended export logging on About dialog.
- Added the option for users to save the prepared file if YouTube upload failed after export completed.
- Added new gauges and templates, improved existing ones.
- Added several of new templates.
- Added more gauges in different styles.
- Added gauges for distance and elapsed time (counted across clip boundaries).
- Added special gauges for temperature.
- Added a gauge for time with seconds.
- Added dynamic interval marking to left and right tape gauges.
- Changed the default template to something more exciting.
- Improved the layout of the 'Import Selection' page.
- Improved behavior when clips are missing.
- Improved behavior of 'Import Other...':
- We now always copy the clip (and GPS files) when manually importing from VIRB.
- We now give the user a choice whether to copy clip file or not when manually importing from a non-VIRB location.
- Improved Software Update process.
- Improved progress feedback for Import and Export.
- Fixed various playback issues on slower PCs.
- Fixed an issue where VIRB Edit would try to import clips even when there was not enough room.
- Fixed an issue where overlay alignment for time lapse and slow motion videos was not in sync.
- Fixed an issue where overlays were inconsistent between playback and export.
- Fixed more export issues.
- Fixed an issue where VIRB Edit would sometimes crash when hitting 'Import New' while reading thumbnails.
- Fixed an issue where the background on the 'Import Selection' page was white on some Windows 8 systems, making the text impossible to read.
- Fixed an issue with accessing the internet through proxies.
Changes made from version 2.3.1 to 2.3.2:
- Fixed export issues that were caused by using too much memory.
- Fixed export issues that were caused by using the wrong video clips.
- Fixed export issues when the NONE template was selected.
- Fixed issue with temperature gauges (water and air temperature are now used as well).
- Improved quality of exported videos.
- Improved stability of playback.
Changes made from version 2.2.5 to 2.3.1:
- Added customizable gauges. You can now add, move and delete gauges.
- Added a lot more gauges, temperature is now supported.
- Added ability to save and reuse custom gauges.
- Added ability to easily import tracks from attached Garmin mass storage devices.
- Widened range for clip playback speed (from 0.125x to 8x, up from 0.25x to 2x).
- Fixed some errant behavior for g-force gauges.
- Fixed export for pace gauges.
- Fixed some more export issues.
- Fixed an issue where file or track import was not working.
- Fixed an issue where settings changes where not remembered after upgrading VIRB Edit.
Changes made from version 2.2.3 to 2.2.5:
- Fixed more export issues.
- Fixed a start-up issue.
Changes made from version 2.2.2 to 2.2.3:
- Fixed issues where export would not work for some users with certain graphics cards.
- Fixed issues with importing clips on Windows 8.1.
- Fixed issues with text visibility when users use a non-Aero theme.
- Fixed issue when exporting at different playback speeds.
- Fixed issue with quality of exported video (no more vertical lines).
- Fixed issues where the track overlays were not exported correctly.
- Fixed issue where power overlays were not properly exported.
- Fixed issue with automatic software update.
Changes made from version 2.2.0 to 2.2.2:
- Added support for four Asian languages.
- Improved automatic alignment of tracks to videos.
Changes made from version 2.1.1 to 2.2.0:
- Added overlay gauge templates.
- Added capability to select which clips to import from a camera.
- Added separate preference for altitude units.
- Added option for nautical units.
Changes made from version 2.0.0 to 2.1.1:
- Added capability to add music to videos.
- Added overlays for display of power and G-force.
- Added capability to check for VIRB device software updates.
- Improved video export speed and quality.
- Fixed an issue where the track was not properly displayed on the map.
- Fixed an issue with the quality of the exported video (no more blue dots).
- Fixed a number of minor user interface issues.
- Download the Garmin VIRB Edit update file into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\downloads).
- Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\downloads), and run the executable file (.exe). Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update of your VIRB Edit installation.