Updates & Downloads
BaseCamp for Mac software version 184.108.40.206 Beta
as of May 7, 2013
View installation instructions
- BaseCamp is a 3D mapping application that allows you to transfer Garmin Custom Maps, BirdsEye Imagery, waypoints, tracks, and routes between your Mac and Garmin device. It allows you to manage your data on practically all Garmin map products, but topographic maps are required for 3-D rendering.
Transfer waypoints, geocaches, routes, and tracks to and from your GPS device.
Create, view, edit, and organize waypoints, routes, and tracks.
Find places, such as addresses, points of interest, and public land survey areas included in your detailed map data.
Download, display, and transfer BirdsEye imagery to supported devices.
Import, display and transfer Garmin Custom Maps to supported devices.
Printing the map, driving directions, and route and track profiles
View in Google Earth
Advanced geocache support
Integrated support for publishing photos online
Track and route play back
Exchange custom waypoint symbols with selected devices
- System Requirements:
Intel based Mac running OS 10.6 or higher. Tiger, Leopard and PowerPC users should use BaseCamp 2.1.2 available here.
1024 MB RAM (2048 MB recommended)
- Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.
Changes made from version 220.127.116.11 Beta to 18.104.22.168 Beta:
- Completed the ability to pick different BaseCamp libraries much like iPhoto and iTunes libraries. This feature can be found under Preferences->Advanced. For the advanced course, click on .bclibrary bundle in finder to open it and thank Apple for creating bundles.
- Added more map detail levels. Dirt roads and POIs can now be seen at a much higher level.
- Added Yelp results to Trip Planner and Quick search.
- Added ability to create waypoints from Yelp find results. Note this only works if you are using a map with address search capability.
- Added ability to adjust the default speed used for routing. Not as powerful or complicated as the Windows version, but it doesn't use words like collector roads either.
- Added trip summary to printed trip itinerary.
- Added a main menu entry for Trip Planner.
- Added ability to change the date of any day in trip planner by double clicking on the day/date icon.
- Added a Trip Planner quick start tutorial.
- Added feature to fill the rest of a destination's days up whenever lodging is added.
- Added better syncing of the end point of one day with the start point on the next.
- Added ability to add days to a Hub/Destination.
- Fixed some time zone time issues in routes.
- Updated graphics to be Retina display ready.
- Made several robustness improvements to Trip Planner in general.
- Added the ability to add a Garmin Adventure to a trip.
Changes made from version 4.1.2 to 22.214.171.124 Beta:
- Added Trip Planner (work-in-progress) (works in 10.7+)
- - Adds easy way to create trips
- - Create trips over several days
- - round trip support
- - printing trips
- - add destinations along the route
- - flight support (airport and flight look-up)
- - time zone support
- Added initial support for different libraries which is patterned after iPhoto libraries. Feel free to try the feature out, but note that the next version will possibly break libraries created in this beta. This feature can be found under Preferences->Advanced.
- Added support for different route profiles for different legs of a route
- Added support to have different folders and lists with the same name (as long as they have a different parent in the folder hierarchy)
- Added support for UK postal code search
- Added support for Yelp search (work-in-progress)
- Added support for named search (far away POIs should be found if it's an exact name match)
- Added support for category search (you can type 'Hotels, Las Vegas, NV')
- Added quick search (hover over the map to invoke it)
- Added Irish Transverse Mercator grid
- Added support for displaying BirdsEye while in Basestation mode
- Added support for displaying and saving the track of the Basestation itself
- Added support for displaying the most recent update time for Basestation contacts
- Fixed issue with Garmap Southern Africa Topo & Rec 2012.3 - NT not being displayed BaseCamp
Changes made from version 4.1.1 to 4.1.2:
- Fixed an issue where display mode was not preserved between app runs
- Fixed an issue where elevation plot was not available for Fenix tracks
- Fixed an issue where moving a track point cleared the time data
- Fixed an issue where ascent and descent data was not calculated for some tracks
- Improved copy/paste behavior for data from tables (User Data Table, Tracks, etc.) into other applications
- Various route creation and editing stability improvements
- Various map stability improvements
Changes made from version 4.1.0 to 4.1.1:
- Fixed an issue where BaseCamp will crash when plugging in certain nuvis or zumos
- Fixed multiple issues with city search in find options
- Fixed an issue with user data search
Changes made from version 4.0.4 to 4.1.0:
- Added support for Garmin Cloud Storage
- Added support for searching and displaying Custom POIs from devices (GPI file support)
- Added ability to user coordinates in search field
- Added ability to copy/paste data from tables (User Data Table, Tracks, etc.) into other applications
- Added ability to report map errors directly from within BaseCamp
- Added support for new statistics track extension, this should allow BaseCamp and future devices to have the same track statistics
- Added better error messages for Garmin Adventure publishing failures
- Combined the two search boxes into one
- Moved the search box to toolbar
- Fixed issues related to retina display
- Fixed various stability issues
Changes made from version 4.0.2 to 4.0.4:
- Added capability to create a geotagged photo from a waypoint that has photos
- Fixed issues related to Garmin Adventure publishing
- Fixed issues with importing Garmin Custom Maps
- Fixed issues with BaseStation mode
- Fixed issues with the Detailed Data List
- Fixed issue related to Birdseye download and transfer
- Fixed crash during adventure playback
- Fixed crash when exporting very large file
- Fixed crash when adding points to a route or track on map
- Fixed crash when transferring a route to device
- Improved copying of photos to device
Changes made from version 4.0.1 to 4.0.2:
- Fixed crash during device transfers
- Fixed crash while quitting BaseCamp
- Fixed crash when importing large files
- Fixed crash when downloading certain adventures
- Fixed issues with uploading adventure logs from devices
- Fixed all white text in summary tab of Route info
- Fixed creation date related to pictures in Waypoint
Changes made from version 3.3.2 to 4.0.1:
- Added Garmin Adventures, including; authoring, publishing, online search, downloading, playback, and transfer to supporting devices.
- Added a Photo Dialog to view geotagged photos in BaseCamp.
- Added ability to filter tracks by time, distance, or number of points.
- Added arrival, departure, and layover times for route via-points.
- Added a context menu on the map for the hand and selection tools.
- Added support for waypoint creation date, which will not be changed when updating the waypoint.
- Added a list in the waypoint properties dialog to display which routes a waypoint is used in.
- Added support for temperature and pressure in track statistics and graphs.
- Change to handle delete waypoints that are included in a route better.
- Added Basestation mode for compatible Astro, Rhino, and Alpha devices.
- Added intersection search when using the 'and' or '&' keywords.
- Added display of postal code in address search results.
- Added a read-only 'Unlisted Data' list that contains all items that are in no other lists.
- Added ability to create a route from a named trail.
- Added ability to import into folders and lists (and not always import into My Collection).
- Added link to the BaseCamp license agreement in help menu.
- Added ability to undo/redo changes made to data on a GPS and SD card.
- Added ability to accept Google Maps coordinate format when centering map at position.
- Added new dog icons.
- Added waypoint creation date to the waypoint properties dialog.
- Added ability to center on selected point in the track properties dialog.
- Added number of maneuvers in the driving directions in the route properties dialog
- Added option to encourage the user to recalculate a route when the map that the route was created with isn't found on the device.
- Added prompt when duplicating a route if BaseCamp should also duplicate the waypoints used in the route.
- Added size of selected BirdsEye imagery to the status bar.
- Change to narrow the POI categories available in find to the ones supported by the current map.
- Improved 'stack' when many photos are at the same spot on the map.
- Improved XML processing (so it should now be possible to import and export larger gpx files than previously).
- Improved the measurement tool's display of measurement information.
- Improved behavior when importing data into an already selected list or folder.
- Improved behavior when double-clicking on a list. BaseCamp will now zoom to the data contained in that list.
- Improved default file name for backup. The default name now contains the current date.
- Changed icon for gas stations with convenience stores to be the gas station icon, not the shopping cart.
- Fixed an issue where a device's SD card would not always be recognized by BaseCamp.
- Fixed numerous issues with finding addresses.
- Fixed area calculation for tracks.
- Fixed an issue where you could not rename an item from lower case to upper case (like renaming 'washington' to 'Washington').
- Fixed issue where the Geocache symbol was not consistent with found status when importing or adding a geocache.
- Fixed an issue where turning off the display of points would leave a lot of 'shopping cart' POIs on the map for certain map products.
- Fixed an issue where the selection was lost when left-clicking on the map with the hand tool.
- Fixed issues with creating routes from tracks.
- Fixed issue with displaying custom maps on devices.
Changes made from version 3.3.1 to 3.3.2:
- Fixed an issue with sending data to an Edge 800
- Fixed an issue with importing data from old GDB files
- Fixed an issue where altitude was not added to a geotagged photo
- Fixed an issue a few crashes having to do with editing routes
- Fixed an issue with GPX files that had non-standard line breaks
- Fixed some of the default routing avoidances for certain profiles
- Fixed an issue that could cause some very long routes to create a direct route
Changes made from version 3.2.2 to 3.3.1:
- Added Detailed Data table view for user data.
- Added shaping point support. Shaping points are not announced when you reach them. (Note that not all devices will support this feature.)
- Improved graphing of track data.
- Added display settings to adjust width of routes and tracks.
- Added support for importing waypoints and tracks from KML/KMZ files.
- Added ability for smart lists to follow any or all criteria.
- Added ability to drag URL from browser to the waypoint or track Link field.
- Added waypoint category to the waypoint dialog. This is synced with newer devices that support waypoint categories.
- Added contact and address info to the waypoint dialog.
- Added grade to the track dialog.
- Added notes and multiple link support to the track dialog.
- Improved printing of routes.
- Fixed issues with sending routes to the zumo.
- Fixed issue when duplicating a route. BaseCamp will now also duplicate the waypoints in that route.
- Added more activity profiles, with improved activity routing on supported maps.
- Added specific avoidances for various road classes, removed the road selection slider.
- Added ability to create custom activity profiles.
- Made activity selectable from relevant preference pages.
- Converting activity profiles where vehicle doesn't match the default for the profile to a custom activity profile.
- Changed to read all GPX files on a memory card, similar to how devices behave.
- Added the ability to create OpenCaching.com geocaches from a geocache or waypoint.
- Changed notifications from pop-ups to less obtrusive notifications.
- Added ability to use a key to temporarily switch to the hand tool. Defaults to the space key.
- Added ability to switch the behavior of mouse-scrolling between zooming and panning the map.
- Fixed an issue where reading data from fitness device caused BaseCamp to crash.
- Fixed an issue with importing certain GPX files with geocaches.
- Fixed an issue where downloading BirdsEye could cause BaseCamp to crash.
- Fixed crash that could occur when ejecting a device.
- Fixed issue where Undo and holding the Alt Key would terminate the current route creation using the Route Tool.
- Fixed zumo 5x0 and 4x0 route transfer issues. (Note that this may cause route transfer issues on the zumo 660. A future firmware update on the 660 will address this issue.)
Changes made from version 3.2.1 to 3.2.2:
- Fixed receiving from Oregons getting stuck for some geocache users.
- Fixed startup crashes some users were experiencing.
- Fixed possible track corruption when duplicating and then editing tracks.
- Fixed loss of photo waypoint thumbnails, added automatic thumbnail recovery when first starting 3.2.2.
- Fixed adding/removing via points to a route setting its activity to the current app setting.
- Fixed the creation of routes from tracks potentially creating too many via points.
- Fixed a possible crash when sending routes to the Edge 800.
- Fixed the error dialog for 3D rendering issues coming up multiple times in a row.
- Fixed a bug that would mistakenly open some waypoint photo links as web links.
- Fixed a possible crash when attempting to show a route on the map.
- Fixed Topo Great Britain's display when rotated in 2D.
- Fixed a possible route profile crash for routes with the same point multiple times.
- Fixed found address markers being the wrong color.
- Fixed other miscellaneous bugs.
- Fixed BirdsEye Imagery with slashes in the name creating directories on the device.
Changes made from version 3.1.4 to 3.2.1:
- Added Activity-based profiles. This allows the user to have different route and map settings for different activities.
- Added ability to back up and restore user data.
- Added support for reading data from .Fit devices like the Edge 500 and 800 and the Forerunner 310XT.
- Added support for updating the firmware in Garmin devices.
- Added heart rate and cadence to the track dialog.
- Added the ability to export GDB files.
- Added analytics to collect application usage statistics.
- Removed ability to display marine maps in deference to the release of HomePort.
- Added ability to add and move track points using the selector tool.
- Changed hand tool to act more like the selector tool when clicking and double clicking on user data and map points.
- Folder improvements:
- Added folders and subfolders to allow organization of lists.
- Add ability to sort user data by date in addition to the current name, type.
- Find improvements:
- Scaled find to work better with different kinds of search sources.
- Added Advanced Find option.
- Improved tips in Find when no results are found.
- Map improvements:
- Added Overview mini map, accessible under the View menu.
- Added tips to the tool pop up about moving waypoints or shaping a route.
- Added ability to configure which map features (POIs and lines) to show or hide.
- Added ability to configure the POI icon size.
- Added ability to configure the number of labels that are displayed on the map.
- Improved 3-D view to hide features that are behind terrain.
- Improved geocache support:
- Added ability to configure what is displayed for geocaches on the map: Symbol, Symbol and Id, or Symbol and name. Use the context menu to change settings for more than one at a time.
- Added support for Opencaching.com geocaches.
- Added searching for Opencaching.com geocaches.
- Added the ability to set the z-order (draw order) of BirdsEye and Garmin custom maps. Note this will only work with new BirdsEye images downloaded for devices with the latest beta firmware.
- Improved the ability to track the found status for geocaches.
- Added the ability to read the geocache visit status from supported GPSs.
- Added the ability to automatically log found geocaches to Opencaching.com
- Added a new smart list criteria for geocache find status.
- Improved import of geocaches from a GPX file.
- Added Date Hidden to Geocache dialog.
- Fixed issue where quitting the application while reading a map from card could cause a crash.
- Fixed issue where disconnecting a device while it was being read could cause a crash.
- Fixed rare issue where clicking on the 3-D map with the routing tool could cause a crash.
- Fixed issue where importing GPX file with thousands of identically named waypoints could cause a crash.
- Change to handle out of memory condition better.
Changes made from version 3.1.2 to 3.1.4:
- Fixed crash issue caused by sending waypoints or routes to an Edge 800.
Changes made from version 3.1.1 to 3.1.2:
- Added ability to give BirdsEye imagery a default name based on features on the map.
- Changed to not show labels and waypoints that are behind terrain on the 3-D view.
- Made a change to make map drawing faster.
- Made a change to preserve the order that waypoints are selected when creating a route from them.
- Fixed issue that caused finding Public Land Survey areas to not work.
- Fixed issue where changing preferences could cause a crash
- Fixed issue where a communications issue could cause application to crash while selecting the BirdsEye imagery to download.
- Fixed issue where the buttons on the BirdsEye selection dialog could be disabled incorrectly.
- Fixed issue where clicking on the find result bubble could cause a crash.
- Added Korean, Traditional Chinese, and Thai localizations.
Changes made from version 3.0.2 to 3.1.1:
- Added support for additional BirdsEye products.
- Added ability to select non-rectangular area for BirdsEye download.
- Added ability to search through all text in user data for specified string.
- Consolidated POI, address and new user data search.
- Enhanced display of find results on the map.
- Added support for custom waypoint symbols, including ability to send and receive symbols to non-mass storage devices like the GPSMap 60 series.
- Added support for address search on maps read from a device.
- Made a significant improvement in memory efficiency for BirdsEye images.
- Added ability to search for and download Garmin Connect activities. Use Find Garmin Connect Activities under the Find menu.
- Added ability to transfer tracks to Garmin Connect.
- Added support for a new plug-in architecture that allows users to added new import and export formats. Go to the Mac BaseCamp area of http://forums.garmin.com for more information.
- Added ability to import TCX files.
- Added ability to export TCX, CSV and tabbed text files.
- Fixed numerous issues reported from the field.
Changes made from version 3.0.1 to 3.0.2:
- Translated BaseCamp into 18 languages: Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish
- Significantly reduced the memory consumption of BaseCamp due to BirdsEye Imagery.
- Eliminated the redundant sending of routes and tracks to non Mass Storage devices such as eTrex and 60CSx.
- Reduced the transfer time of BirdsEye Imagery to a device.
- Added a summary of ascent and descent to tracks and measurements.
- Fixed issues with drawing the map.
- Fixed issues related to loading Garmin Custom Maps.
- Fixed an issue where BaseCamp could crash while renaming waypoints in a route.
- Fixed a crash caused by loading bad Open Street Maps. BaseCamp will not load these bad maps.
- Fixed many reported issues.
Changes made from version 2.0.1 to 3.0.1:
- Added download, display, and transfer of BirdsEye satellite imagery. This requires that you have a supported Garmin GPS. See here for more information.
- Added download, display and transfer Garmin Custom Maps to supported devices.
- Added the ability to use pre-installed maps on a connected device or pre-programmed SD card.
- Added ability for BaseCamp to display any Garmin map. Maps do not need to have Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data to be displayed in BaseCamp now.
- Added support for the data sync capability in the Oregon 450 and 550 and Dakota 10 and 20.
- Added ability to drag and drop user data to and from connected devices.
- Added ability to edit multiple waypoints.
- Fixed issue with garbage characters that were displayed in pop‐up labels in Snow Leopard (10.6).
- Added printing of USGS Quads and other public land survey areas.
- Added ability to reset preferences to factory defaults.
- The full information for geocaches is now visible when transferred to devices that have enhanced support for geocaching, including hints, terrain, difficulty and logs.
- Improved handling of back-up database.
- Improved the drawing speed of certain European maps.
- Improved the reading speed and display of Geotagged photos.
- Adjust map drawing colors to better distinguish between major highways and interstates.
- Added support for touchpad multi-touch gestures.
- Added to print on several pages.
- Fixed issue where information about found POI or address was not displayed correctly in Snow Leopard.
- Fixed an issue where selecting a waypoint symbol in the Waypoint Dialog could cause a crash.
- Numerous refinements and problem fixes.
- Added numerous other refinements and problem fixes.
- Click on 'Download' and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Double-click the file to open it.
- A new Finder window will open. Locate and double-click on the 'Garmin BaseCamp' icon.
- Follow the installer program's prompts to install Garmin BaseCamp.