Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 96 software version 3.00
as of February 16, 2011
View installation instructions and system requirements
- WARNING: If you are updating from a previous software version, uploading this software version may erase all user data including user waypoints, routes, track logs, aircraft weight & balance and reset all user settings to default values. Please back up important data (routes, tracks, and waypoints) to MapSource prior to updating.
If you are upgrading from a software version earlier than 2.80 and have uploaded detailed road maps to your unit, you will need to use MapSource to reload your detailed maps.
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
- Update to display NAV database greater in size than 2MB (issue identified in cycle 1102)
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
- Improved functionality of active route page when removing an approach from the active route
- Improved display of Glide Ratio data field
- Improved selection of tower frequency displayed on airport review page for airports that have multiple tower frequencies
- Improved functionality of Manual and Distance route leg transition modes
- Corrected unit operation when transferring saved tracks from Mapsource
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.80:
- Added support to accommodate increased obstacle database size.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.50:
- Correct map 'Drawing' problem when heading line option is enabled.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Added position data display to the map when panning.
- Added support to display Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) on the map.
- Added support to scan multiple SUA's on the map.
- Added support for Obstacle database web updates.
- Added support to apply the published magnetic variance from the Jeppesen database when projecting a waypoint on a VOR radial.
- Added option to display Flight Log in hours and minutes.
- Added automatic CDI adjustment.
- Added support for extended resolution maps like Minnesota LakeMaster maps.
- Added German tide support.
- Added carpool lanes to avoidance options for automotive mode.
- Added support to select flight characteristics used for flight log entries based on the current aircraft cruise speed. An aircraft cruise speed setting less than 80 knots will apply the lower performance characteristic. This change is to accommodate low performance aircraft and utlralights.
- Improved error checking when creating the point-to-point route identifier.
- Improved the readability of the user welcome screen text on the power up screen.
- Improved point-to-point route navigation processing.
- Improved serial NMEA data processing.
- Improved aviation mode ETE calculation.
- Improved route guidance on approach leg.
- Improved weight & balance page to prevent entering negative values.
- Corrected problem during boot up that would prevent the display from advancing past the welcome screen.
- Corrected problem on the message log page when the message log was full.
- Corrected Daylight Savings Time processing for the southern hemisphere.
- Corrected issue with spurious obstacle alerts.
- Corrected fuel timer.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:
- Separated the Detailed Map Info page from the Map Setup page.
- Corrected problem of quitting out of the Select Approach list on the Goto page.
- Corrected problem with string corruption in Map Setup Option menu.
- Changed the default-configurable field in Aviation Mode for the HSI page from 'crosstrack error' to 'vertical speed to target'.
- Added menu option and page for NMEA setup accessible from the Comm page.
- Added missing hour and minute hands on timer icon.
- Removed obstacle database version string for the Atlantic and Pacific versions.
- Added 'New Altitude' option to the GPS page.
- Added option to set date on Time Setup page.
- Corrected problem with Aviation In mode that would cause a shutdown when creating a waypoint for navigation.
- Corrected behavior for quitting edit mode for text fields on several pages.
- Corrected behavior of Capture VNAV on the Compass page.
- Corrected screen refresh behavior when the user quits to leave a popup menu.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file for your GPSMAP96 onto your hard drive.
- Connect your GPSMAP96 to a free USB or serial port on your PC with the correct PC interface cable.
- Turn on your GPSMAP96.
If you are using USB, ensure it shows USB as connected when the cable is plugged in.
If you are using serial, ensure the Serial Data Format is set to 'Garmin Data Transfer' for the port you are using. You can find this setting on the 'Interface' page under the 'Setup' section of the Main Menu.
- Open the self-extracting archive file and follow the instructions provided by the update application.
During the upload, the GPSMAP96's display will indicate 'Software Loading....' The upload process should take 1-10 minutes to complete, depending on interface used for update. When the upload is completed, the GPSMAP96 will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.