Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 182C software version 6.30
as of May 10, 2007
USB Card Programmer
Download (3.54 MB)
View download instructions and system requirements
- Version 3.00 is the initial release
- Any units with pre-release alpha or beta software will have all nonvolatile memory erased when version 3.00 or later is loaded.
Changes made from version 6.20 to 6.30:
- Fixed problem with NMEA output stopping for a few minutes at 00:00:00Z.
- Incorporated recent changes to the Daylight Savings Time schedule to properly detect when DST starts and stops.
Changes made from version 6.10 to 6.20:
- Improved WAAS search and selection process to be smarter in its handling of multiple SBAS service providers, overlapping service volumes, and exceptional conditions.
Changes made from version 5.90 to 6.10:
- Added support for receiving NMEA DSE sentence.
- Improved language support by filling in missing translations.
Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
- Fixed a bug that caused extended chart information to not be displayed when reviewing a point on BlueChart maps.
- Fixed possible issue with waypoint symbol being unexpectedly changed to the generic dot symbol on user data transfer.
- Modified a handful of German phrase translations.
Changes made from version 5.70 to 5.80:
- Changed to use darker shade of blue for depth contours to make them visible against lighter-colored isobathic areas.
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
- Added German tide support.
- Fixed Recommended Route line review problem where associated depth and/or description text was not being displayed.
- Added support for violet, blue and amber marine lights.
- Added support for new Artificial Reef and Drilling Rig BlueChart point types.
- Added mode indicator to $GPVTG NMEA output sentence.
- Corrected various Italian language translations.
Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
- Reduced the number of colors in moon bitmap displayed on main menu celestial page.
- The color of the first aid waypoint was changed from red to blue.
- Italian translations for 'Time Zone', 'Shallow Water' and 'Deep Water' were changed.
- Added translations in all supported foreign languages for 'Non-Dangerous Rock' and 'Submerged Wreck'.
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.50:
- Fixed various user card data transfer issues.
- Changed Austrian datum transformation parameters to dx = 594, dy = 84, & dz = 471.
- Corrected problem with Australian celestial moon phase calculations.
- Changed text displayed for 'non-dangerous rock' to 'underwater rock' and changed 'submerged wreck, non-dangerous' to 'submerged wreck'.
- Corrected a problem with UPS grid conversions in zones B and Z.
- Fixed problem with potential shutdown when using very old Almanac data.
- Improved power-up processing for better performance.
- Improved the default settings interface on the comm tab.
- Improved ability to distinguish between shallow BlueChart isobath regions.
- Changed symbol for non-dangerous rocks.
- Reduced size of BlueChart building symbol.
- Added Canadian tide support.
- Corrected potential error when using WAAS in Europe.
- Modified 'Place of Worship' and 'cemetery' symbols.
- Improved saved track color mappings.
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Fixed potential memory-corruption problem that could occur when tracking more than one WAAS satellite simultaneously.
- Improvement to prevent delays when using differential GPS
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Corrected a problem writing to the data card that could result in an immediately apparent but recoverable corruption of the data card.
Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.20:
- Added new translations for the French language.
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select the satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the unit's current position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's current position is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.
- Added the ability to store and read user waypoints, routes, and tracks on/from a Garmin data card. This allows the user to back up the waypoints, routes, and tracks when the unit requires him/her to clear his/her user data. It also allows the user to transfer this information to MapSource and back.
- Improved the depth tracking algorithm. Now, the time needed to reacquire the bottom after the unit has lost track of the bottom is reduced. This improvement will only be seen under extreme circumstances. Only users who have experienced long acquisition times in the past may see an improvement.
- Fixed a problem that caused inaccurate readings of a water temperature transducer.
- Fixed a problem where the Fish alarm would interrupt and cancel other persistent alarms and messages.
- Fixed a problem that caused the NMEA GPGSV sentence to not be compliant with the NMEA 0183 v3.01 standard.
- Fixed a problem that caused the unit to incorrectly draw some BlueChart maps.
- Fixed a problem that caused the unit to not properly update its settings after the user selected the Factory Defaults option on the Sonar Setup page.
- Fixed a problem that caused the Daylight Savings Time field to disappear when the time zone was set to 'Other'.
- Fixed a problem that caused the unit to incorrectly draw the time values on the Tide page when the unit was set to a 24-hour time format.
- Corrected miscellaneous German translation errors.
- Fixed a problem with drawing names of maps on the Map Information page when the maps had long names.
Changes made from version 4.03 to 5.00:
- Many Sonar enhancements and additions, featuring:
- Added GSD20 remote sonar support.
- Added ability to show Water Temperature log graph at the bottom
of the Sonar page.
- Improved the pointer information box on the sonar page.
- The 'Pointer' and 'Adjustments' menu options are now disabled on the Sonar
page whenever sonar is turned off.
- Fixed potential lockup problem that could occur when Fish ID is turned on.
- Corrected problem with the the Sonar display field's Basic Scale not being
drawn wide enough when using Bottom Lock.
- Corrected problem that could cause the Depth Line to get 'stuck' if many
sequential down-key presses are performed in a row.
- Corrected an inaccuracy problem with the depth number that is shown next to the Depth Line when it is turned on. This problem only occurs when using Bottom Lock and does not affect any other aspects of the sonar display or depth reporting.
- Added DSC support.
- Added track line style configuration support for monochrome products and track
line color configuration support for color products.
- Implemented position Auto Averaging support.
- Improved display of cartographic hazard depths.
- Removed Simulator icon and added support for new simulator enunciator.
- Added support for localized compass letters.
- Elevation units no longer overflow to a larger unit of measure when the value
gets large. For example, if you are using Statute units and your elevation
rolls over from 999 ft to 1000 ft, the unit will now display 1000 ft,
rather than 1.0 kft.
- Added new metric version of Nautical units that underflows distance
measurements to meters instead of feet.
- Added support for Australian and European tides.
- Added support for extended (non-English language) character display on the
- Fractional data is no longer displayed in numeric distance display fields
when configured to use units of feet or meters.
- Revamped and improved retail demonstration mode, including resetting the
position and zoom levels to the position init values on demo reset.
- Improved the moon phase calculations.
- Implemented improved disclaimer page interface.
- The Tide page cursor time is now based on the selected station's time offset.
- Added progress indication when converting active track log data into a saved
- 'Track Log Full' message is now displayed when the Track Recording Mode is
set to 'Fill' and there is no more space left to record track points.
- Added Croatian language support.
- Fixed problem with missing tide extremes.
- Daylight Savings Time configuration is now allowed when the Time Zone is set
- Fixed data display problem that occurred on the Active Route page when the
name of an existing route is entered to begin navigation of that route.
Changes made from version 4.02 to 4.03:
- Fixed possible sonar range lock-up.
Changes made from version 4.01 to 4.02:
- Fixed potential Water Temperature Log graph lock-up bug.
Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.01:
- Lowered maximum gain slightly for factory test purposes.
Changes made from version 3.02 to 4.00:
- Added support for GPSMAP 188C.
- Added 'Too Many Maps' notification message and 'Unable to Unlock Maps' notification message.
- Improved Estimated Position Error (EPE) calculations.
- Added Water Temperature alarm support.
- Corrected differential status message bug that occurred when using the 'Other DGPS' communications format.
- Added persistent alarm support.
- Increased number of allowed route waypoints from 50 to 254.
- Many BlueChart enhancments, featuring:
- A 'Navaids' tab has been added to the Map Setup Tab page. The Light Sector configuration item has been moved to this tab from the Other tab. The Navaids text size configuration item has been moved to this tab from the Points tab. And finally, a new feature allowing selection of the Navaid Symbol Set (as described below) has been placed on this tab.
- Navaid Symbol Set configuration where the user can select the desired navaid symbol set. This control is on the 'Navaids' tab, and presents the following options:
- Auto - BlueChart maps are drawn using symbols similar to the NOAA/NIMA standard. Non BlueChart maps (i.e. topo, roads & rec, waterways & lights, FHS etc) are drawn using traditional GARMIN symbols.
- GARMIN - All maps are drawn using traditional GARMIN symbols.
- NOAA - All maps are drawn using a symbol set similar to NOAA/NIMA.
- International - All maps are drawn using a symbol set similar to the IALA symbol set.
- User-configurable navaid label text size.
- Recommended route review page, which displays information about recommended routes.
- Submerged cable and submerged pipeline are now drawn using a straight or dashed (sometimes black, sometimes blue) line.
- Marine Light review page now supports sector display and leading angle display based onuser configuration of North reference.
- Added ability to the Marine Light review page to display which Light Sector is currently visible.
- Light Sectors now rotate properly based on whether the map is configured for North Up or Track Up mode.
- Improved scale-dependent map selections to ensure appropriate display of overlapping maps.
- Added Water Temperature Log feature support and associated feature setup tab in main menu.
- When one of the user selectable data fields is confgured as Highway, the Highway zoom level is no longer configurable using the Zoom In/Out keys. Its zoom level will always be the same as the zoom level on the main Highway base page.
- Move support and Append To Route support has been added to the user waypoint review page's option menu.
- Power-on disclaimer page and data card information page now both show map counting progress.
- Corrected highlight movement bug on Marine Services review page.
- Fixed bug in main menu Saved Track catalog page that occurred when the last Saved Track in the list was deleted.
- Map Datum defaults are now properly restored when 'Defaults' is selected from the Units setup page's option menu.
- Added Point, Distance and Bearing reference fields to user waypoint review page.
- Corrected problem that caused RTCM related value defaults to not be restored properly when system-wide or comm-specific defaults were restored.
- Significantly reduced the amount of time taken to read excessively large numbers of maps (more than 300) from a data card.
- Changed 'Emergency & Governmental' and 'Marina/Boat Repair and Storage' find category strings to 'Emergency & Government' and 'Marina/Repair & Storage' respectively so that they are fully visible on the screen.
- Corrected a problem with Southern Hemisphere Auto Daylight Savings Time calculations.
- TracBack route renaming is no longer allowed.
- Fixed reference point selection bug on Celestial main menu page.
- Corrected some address search bugs.
Changes made from version 3.01 to 3.02:
- Added support for handling input of NMEA DBT depth sentence.
- Implemented new Advanced NMEA setup item for setting the Waypoint ID output format. This should allow for backwards compatibility with a wider range of NMEA driven products, including some older AutoPilots.
- Corrected 'Light' string translation for Danish language so that it now properly indicates reference to the unit's backlight.
- Removed general hotel reservation phone number from Metro Guide data review pages, as the number is no longer valid.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.01:
- Corrected problem that caused name labels not to be shown above some route waypoints on the map.
- Updated French and Spanish translations.