Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 62/78 (WebUpdater) software version 6.70
as of January 31, 2017
View system requirements
- IMPORTANT: if upgrading from a software version less than 3.40 you must follow these steps for future BaseCamp Compatibility:
If you are a user of BaseCamp now, or plan to be in the future, you must follow these steps to ensure your data is protected during this software update:
- Connect your handheld unit to a computer and launch BaseCamp. Transfer all tracks, routes and waypoints to BaseCamp.
- Delete the /Garmin/GPX folder from the handheld's mass storage.
- Update the handheld's software via WebUpdater and reboot the handheld.
- Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data from BaseCamp back to the handheld.
Changes made from version 6.30 to 6.70:
- Added backup of critical data.
- Fixed possible route crash.
- Fixed adventures not importing from SD cards.
Changes made from version 6.10 to 6.30:
- Improved 'Save Portion' track feature. When saving a portion, the device now remembers that position in the track log so it can be used as a track segment for future portion saving.
- Fixed possible erroneous track point on power on.
- Fixed formatting issue with certain map names in the map information list.
Changes made from version 5.90 to 6.10:
- Fixed possible shutdown when scrolling through the waypoints list
Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
- Fixed possible shutdown when reviewing a route in Russian
- Fixed several track distance statistic issues
- Fixed waypoint distances being listed incorrectly for Waypoint Averaging
Changes made from version 5.70 to 5.80:
- Fixed possible issue where BirdsEye satellite imagery would be permanently disabled after booting
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
- Improved cartography support (Garmin Hunt View maps)
- Improved boot time when a large amount of BirdsEye satellite imagery is present
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.60:
- Fixed issue with barometer when auto calibration is turned off (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models).
- Fixed issue with power off pressure trending (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models).
- Fixed missing ascent, descent, and elevation statistics when reviewing certain tracks.
- Fixed possible shutdown when displaying the option menu in Czech.
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Improved average ascent, average descent, and vertical speed data fields
- Fixed potential shutdown when reviewing a route
- Fixed potential issue when programming a chirp (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models)
Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.30:
- Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography
- Improved support for Garmin LakeVu HD cartography
- Improved display of marine-specific lines in BlueChart g2 maps
- Fixed issue retrieving PLSS data in certain TOPO US 24k maps
Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.10:
- Improved pairing behavior with cadence sensors (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models)
- Fixed potential issue when logging a geocache as found
Changes made from version 4.90 to 5.00:
- Added support for VIRB Remote (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc models). Main Menu > MENU Key > Change Item Order to add. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2013/08/VIRB-remote.html) for more information.
- Added Icelandic keyboard
- Fixed issue with route calculations always avoiding seasonally closed roads
- Fixed possible issue when missing a turn while using the Active Route application
Changes made from version 4.80 to 4.90:
- Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography
- Fixed issue with incorrect letter capitalization of certain map points
- Fixed issue where wirelessly transmitting a geocache to another device would result in an error message when trying to view the received geocache in BaseCamp (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc)
Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.80:
- Improved map performance in densely-populated urban areas.
- Fixed trail searching when using multiple active routing maps.
- Fixed issue with saving a track's 'show on map' status across a power cycle.
- Fixed issue with displaying tracks on the map after performing an area calculation.
- Fixed possible issue with searching for an address in cities with extremely long names.
- Fixed possible issue with viewing geocache descriptions in night mode.
- Fixed minor graphical issue with certain data fields on the map.
Changes made from version 4.50 to 4.60:
- Added quick access to the geocaching options from the compass and map pages.
- Added 'Geocache Start Page' option to geocache setup page (Setup -> Geocaches ).
- Improved ascent and descent calculations.
- Fixed potential shutdown when searching for adventures.
- Fixed issues with alphabetical sort from waypoint manager.
- Fixed potential issues with geocaching dashboard.
Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
- Improved map drawing at low zoom levels.
- Fixed inability to edit archived tracks.
- Fixed ability to use NMEA depth for waypoints and tracks.
- Fixed display of geocache coordinates with non-default map datum.
- Fixed overlapping position text for right to left languages.
- Fixed overlapping position text in data fields.
Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.40:
- Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.
- Added support for new tempe sensor. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.
Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.30:
- Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/05/get-active-with-garmin.html) for more information.
- Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically
- Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence
- Improved GPS response at low speeds
- Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required)
- Fixed issue where the map would sometimes not refresh when using the active route page
- Fixed issue with the Glide Ratio data field
- Fixed Spell Search in German
- Fixed possible issue with Where To? > Address searching
Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:
- Added symbol filtering to FIND > Waypoints and Waypoint Manager
- Improved GPS response at low speeds
- Fixed daylight saving time issue in Sun and Moon application
- Fixed issue that could occur when restoring map zoom level defaults
- Fixed issues with support for Canada BlueChart g2 maps
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.80:
- Added Geocaching with Photos (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/01/geocaching-with-photos.html)
- Improved elevation data stored in track logs
- Fixed issue with 'Hut' point type in TOPO Australia & New Zealand maps
- Fixed issue with magnetic north offset when projecting a waypoint
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Fixed an issue with the reporting of pressure from the barometric altimeter (GPSMAP 62s/62st/78s/78sc)
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Added Photo Viewer application
- Improvements to the geocaching experience. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html) for more information.
- Fixed a potential hang on startup when importing large numbers of waypoints, tracks, routes, or geocaches
- Fixed issue with very long geocache descriptions
- Fixed shutdown when reviewing certain geocache descriptions
- Fixed issue where some auto-archived tracks would be named in English regardless of user language
- Fixed bug that could cause some geocaches to not import
- Fixed issue with track log recording while using the stopwatch
- Fixed issue with the anchor drag alarm
- Fixed issue with total ascent and total descent fields not displaying values greater than 9999 meters
- Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines
- Fixed potential issue with screenshot color reproduction
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.40:
- Added support for advanced geocache logging with OpenCaching.com. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/08/advanced-geocache-logging-with-opencachingcom.html) for more information.
- Added Garmin Spanner mode to GPSMAP 78, GPSMAP 78s, and GPSMAP 78sc devices
- Fixed issue with multilingual custom POI files
- Fixed issue with setting proximity alerts. The unit of measure can be changed by entering the 'Proximity Alarms' page, pressing the 'Menu' key, and selecting 'Change Units'
Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:
- Updated magnetic Earth field data
- Improved GPS performance
- Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)
- Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200
- Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS
- Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list
- Fixed issue with track and route review from the map page if you came from the elevation plot
- Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing
- Fixed issue with gpi files that have alerts attached to the points
- Fixed issue with progress bar displaying properly on power up
- Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point
- Fixed shutdown when unit had more than the maximum number of JNX files on it
- Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size
- Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field
- Fixed problem with profiles and the fields on the map page
- Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings
- Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs
- Fixed issue where proximity waypoint alerts could only be set in feet regardless of what was selected as a Distance/Speed unit in the setup page
- Fixed an issue with archived tracks not displaying properly
- Fixed an issue with having too many custom symbols on the device
- Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
- Fixed shutdown related to the current track that occurred after updating the software
- Fixed a hang that occurred when a unit had 1000 auto-named waypoints
- Fixed issue with marine map points sometimes drawing with the incorrect symbol
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Added support for chirp (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc).
- Fixed problem with certain custom maps.
- Fixed problem with certain JPEG images.
- Fixed issue with Sight 'N Go and user north reference (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc).
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Fixed issue while using spell search in route planner.
- Fixed issue where tracks could not be disabled from the map.
- Fixed issues with odometer distance.
- Fixed shutdown while panning the map for extended periods of time.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Added Automatic Shaded Relief option.
- Added display color to track gpx files
- Added import indicator for gpx files
- Added multicaching support
- Added periodic track archiving
- Added track review page improvements
- Improved map selection. Visit http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech for more information.
- Improved keyboard responsiveness
- Fixed issues with inconsistent altimeter readings
- Fixed calendar to display all geocache finds and attempts on the correct day
- Fixed occasional shutdowns
- Fixed paging after logging a geocache
- Fixed shutdown on About Page
- Fixed spot sounding display on certain maps
- Updated map review of tracks and routes. The distance shown is now the distance along the route or track.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Improved display of position formats on keyboard page.
- Fixed problem with position entry when using Latvian TM position format.
- Removed occasional screen glitch when routes are being calculated.
- Added Spanner interface option to 62 models.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.30:
- Added Geocache Filtering
- Added brightness adjustments for BirdsEye imagery
- Improved WAAS performance
- Fixed intermittent issue with two keyboard input bars appearing on spell search
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.