Updates & Downloads
GPS 15x software version 3.90
as of August 28, 2013
View installation instructions and system requirements
- WebUpdater can be used with the USB versions of this product.
Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:
- Better handling for leap second data storage especially over long periods of non-use.
Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:
- Fix the timing of the output PGRMT Sentence.
- Fix to retain position averaging state between power cycles.
- Update the magnetic variation table.
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Improved NMEA output timing stability.
- Added support to enable/disable velocity threshold filtering.
- Modified the PGRMID sentence format for maintaining consistency with the other NMEA sentences.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Fixed issue with version 3.50 where flashing the IC with the firmware binary would not work
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.50:
- Added support to enable/disable internal position averaging.
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
- Add PGRMID sentence to allow user programmable device ID.
- Reversed sign of vertical velocity to be in ENU coordinates.
- Fixed problem with almanac data not outputting.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Modified proprietary binary output data format to fix incorrect date/time calculation on some Garmin marine products.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file onto your hard drive.
- Unzip the files in the archive by running the downloaded executable file. It is recommended that you unzip the files to the default location of C:\Garmin, but you can browse for a different location.
- Connect your unit to a free serial port (Com 1, 2, 3, or 4) on your PC. The user will need to build an appropriate cable to accomplish this.
- Power up the unit. If you unzipped the files to C:\Garmin follow option 1 below. If you unzipped the files to another directory follow option 2 below.
- If you unzipped the files to C:\Garmin, proceed as follows:
- Navigate your browser to the C:\Garmin folder and run the SNSRXCFG program by clicking on the SNSRXCFG.exe file. Make sure 'GPS 15x' base model has been selected and click 'OK'.
- Either select Config-Update Software from the menu bar or press F12 to update the software. Normally, you will see a confirmation window indicating that you have connected to the unit. If the connection confirmation window does not appear, there are two possibilities:
- The GPS 15x is not properly connected to your computer. Click 'Cancel'. The update program will not find the GPS 15x and will fail. Verify the serial connections, cycle power on the unit, and try again.
- The unit may be in Garmin (update) mode. In this case, click 'Cancel' to continue with the update.
- A browser window will open and default to the folder C:\Garmin. You may now browse for the correct region file to upload. The correct region file will be named 079601000XXX.rgn, where XXX is the version number of the software you wish to upload. Select region file and click 'Open'.
- At this point, the Garmin software update program, updater.exe, will start. Updater will prompt you to select the appropriate serial port. Click 'OK' to begin the software upload.
- If you unzipped the files to another directory, proceed as follows:
- Run SNSRXCFG by clicking on the SNSRXCFG.exe file. Make sure 'GPS 15x' base model has been selected and click 'OK'.
- Either select Config-Switch to Garmin mode from the menu bar or press F11 to switch your unit to Garmin (update) mode. If the unit is in NMEA mode you will see a confirmation window saying 'Connection Success'. If the connection confirmation window does not appear, there are two possibilities:
- The GPS 15x is not properly connected to your computer. Verify the serial connections, cycle power on the unit, and try again.
- The unit may already be in Garmin (update) mode. Proceed to step c.
- Change to the directory in which you unzipped the files, (i.e., C:\GARMIN), and run the update program, updater.exe. Select the appropriate serial port and click 'OK' to begin the software upload.
- During the upload, the display will indicate 'Software Loading....'. The upload process should take 1-3 minutes to complete. When the upload is completed, the unit will reset itself and turn on normally. At this point, click the connect button (or select Comm-Connect from the Menu bar). If you select view-NMEA Transmitted Sentences the NMEA sentences should be updating on the screen.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.