Updates & Downloads
Dakota (WebUpdater) software version 5.80
as of October 9, 2013
View system requirements
- IMPORTANT: if upgrading from a software version less than 4.60 you must follow these steps for future BaseCamp Compatibility:
If you are a user of BaseCamp now, or plan to be in the future, you must follow these steps to ensure your data is protected during this software update:
- Connect your handheld unit to a computer and launch BaseCamp. Transfer all tracks, routes and waypoints to BaseCamp.
- Delete the /Garmin/GPX folder from the handheld's mass storage.
- Update the handheld's software via WebUpdater and reboot the handheld.
- Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data from BaseCamp back to the handheld.
Changes made from version 5.70 to 5.80:
- Improved pairing behavior with cadence sensors (Dakota 20)
- Fixed possible shutdown when using the Geocaching - Active dashboard
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
- Added support for VIRB Remote (Dakota 20). Setup > Main Menu to add. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2013/08/VIRB-remote.html) for more information.
Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
- Fixed shutdown that could occur when using elevation plot while in auto-route navigation.
- Fixed date for marked MOB waypoints.
- Fixed issue writing correct temperature data to track logs.
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.50:
- Fixed inability to edit archived tracks.
- Fixed potential issue with reporting tempe temperature data.
- Improved map drawing at low zoom levels.
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Fix potential system hang or crash when powering on.
- Fixed Photo Viewer photo rotation for Dakota 20.
- Fixed incorrect display of 'Memory Full' error message associated with the loading of particular map sets.
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.
- Added support for new tempe sensor. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.
Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:
- Improved GPS response at low speeds
Changes made from version 4.90 to 5.10:
Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.90:
- Added Photo Viewer application (go to Setup -> Main Menu to add to the current profile)
- Improvements to the geocaching experience. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html) for more information.
- Updated the Geocaching - Nearest dashboard
- Fixed a potential hang on startup when importing large numbers of waypoints, tracks, routes, or geocaches
- Fixed issue with very long geocache descriptions
- Fixed shutdown when reviewing certain geocache descriptions
- Fixed issue where some auto-archived tracks would be named in English regardless of user language
- Fixed issue that could cause some geocaches to not import
- Fixed issue with track log recording while using the stopwatch
- Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines
Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.70:
- Fixed issue introduced in 4.60 where raster maps would be drawn as fully transparent (this issue affected BirdsEye™, Garmin Custom Maps, and Garmin GB Discoverer™ maps)
Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.60:
- Added support for advanced geocache logging with OpenCaching.com. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/08/advanced-geocache-logging-with-opencachingcom.html) for more information.
- Fixed issue with multilingual custom POI files
Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.30:
- Fixed issue with the color of the line at the top of the elevation plot
- Fixed issue where custom POI images would not show up in the review page
- Fixed occasional issue related to the alarm clock
Changes made from version 3.80 to 4.10:
- Updated magnetic Earth field data
- Improved GPS performance
- Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)
- Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200
- Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS
- Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list
- Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing
- Fixed a hang that occurred when a unit had 1000 auto-named waypoints
- Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point
- Fixed shutdown when unit had more than the maximum number of JNX files on it
- Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size
- Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files
- Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field
- Fixed issue with profiles and the fields on the map page
- Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings
- Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs
- Fixed an issue with archived tracks not displaying properly
- Fixed an issue with having too many custom symbols on the device
- Fixed an issue where the second page of custom symbols could not be viewed
- Fixed an issue with renaming a waypoint immediately after creating it
- Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache
Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:
- Improved behavior of Dakota 20's save always mode for barometric pressure trending.
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Fixed shutdown related to the current track that occurred after updating the software
- Fixed a hang that occurred when a unit had 1000 auto-named waypoints
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Removed setup options for chirp from Dakota 10, which does not support wireless communication.
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Added support for chirp (Dakota 20).
- Fixed problem with certain custom maps.
- Fixed issue with Sight 'N Go and user north reference (Dakota 20).
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:
- Fixed issue while using spell search in route planner.
- Fixed issue where tracks could not be disabled from the map.
- Fixed issues with odometer distance.
- Fixed shutdown while panning the map for extended periods of time.
- Fixed occasional shutdown when turning off a marine alarm.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.30:
- Added ability to move waypoints using the map
- Added ability to set user declination direction
- Added Automatic Shaded Relief option
- Added brightness adjustments for BirdsEye imagery
- Added display color to track gpx files
- Added Geocache filtering. Select Setup > Geocaches to add custom filters
- Added import indicator for gpx files
- Added multicaching support
- Added periodic track archiving
- Added track review page improvements
- Improved keyboard responsiveness
- Improved WAAS performance
- Fixed elevation profiles to always use the most detailed DEM data loaded
- Fixed future plot with tracks that have no elevations in them
- Fixed issue with calculator % function
- Fixed issue with map POI's showing twice for a single point
- Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid
- Fixed issue with stuck route button.
- Fixed occasional shutdowns
- Fixed shutdown on About Page
- Fixed spot sounding display on certain maps
- Updated map review of tracks and routes. The distance shown is now the distance along the route or track.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Fixed issue with editing waypoints.
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
- Fixed top keyboard row.
- Fixed external power lost message.
- Fixed shutdown while saving a track.
- Fixed update message when using certain marine map cards.
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
- Added BirdsEye control to Profiles.
- Fixed issue changing marine map modes.
- Fixed map display problems.
- Fixed crash while saving a track.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
- Added support for Garmin BirdsEye.
- Added mmHg pressure units.
- Added support for Riyadh time zone.
- Added ability to change active track color.
- Added option to calibrate screen under Setup->Display.
- Added custom waypoint symbol and geocache symbol support.
- Corrected issue with GPS acquisition on certain units.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Fixed issue with units getting stuck in demo mode.
- Fixed color issues with GB Discoverer and Custom Maps.
- Fixed issue where portions of GB Discoverer Maps would disappear.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Increased the map drawing range to allow maps to draw farther south.
- Corrected issue with route line sometimes not drawing.
- Corrected issues with marine POI.
- Corrected issues with GB Discoverer maps.
- Corrected issue with project waypoint bearing sometimes not showing the input value.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Added ability to view elevation plot of upcoming active route or currently navigated track in blue.
- Added display of icons to the lists in Where To? > Waypoints and the Geocaching application.
- Added phone numbers when available to POI review pages.
- Added Compass, Stopwatch, Active Geocache, and Elevation Plot dashboard options.
- Introduced dashboard options to the Compass and Map pages.
- Improved track navigation.Visit http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/ for more information.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Added profile support for Garmin Custom Maps
- Fixed lockup while using GB Discoverer maps
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Added support for Garmin Custom Maps
- Improved along road routing performance
- Increased data field font sizes
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.20:
- Added LKS92 map datum
- Added support for GPS firmware 3.70
- Added support for GPI routes
- Improved compass responsiveness
- Fixed issue where multiple GB Discoverer maps would not draw
- Fixed issue where track names could not be changed and deleted tracks would not be updated in GPX files.
- Fixed issue where CDI (Course) mode compass did not show intermediate compass values between North and East
- Fixed issue with address wizard not searching in the correct city
- Fixed user heading setting for mils so that all applicable headings are displayed with the correct heading format
- Fixed potential issue during power on.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.