Updates & Downloads
GPS 16A software version 2.60
as of May 16, 2006
View installation instructions and system requirements
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Fixed SBAS compatibility issue with Japanese MSAS system
- Drop WAAS satellites that are not transmitting useful data
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.50:
- Improved SBAS search and selection process.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Validate altitude during first-fix processing.
- Improved EPH during transition from a non-differential fix to a differential fix.
- Added ability to turn position averaging on and off via a Garmin or NMEA command.
- Allow vertical filter to be disabled via the PGRMC sentence.
- Enhanced first-fix processing.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:
- Improved non-volatile memory storage of WAAS/EGNOS ionospheric mask corrections.
Changes made from version 2.02 to 2.10:
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to
select the satellite with the most beneficial
corrections given the unit's current position. Units
will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's current
position is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's
Changes made from version 2.01 to 2.02:
- Added automatic position averaging when stopped.
- Removed position pinning. Position pinning remains off regardless of the PGRMC1 sentence command.
- Fixed problem with saving unit position in nonvolatile memory upon first fix.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.01:
- Added support for ephemeris download.
- Improve eph estimate for WAAS DGPS fixes.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file onto your hard drive.
- Unzip the files in the archive by running the downloaded executable file. It is recommended that you unzip the files to the default location of C:\Garmin, but you can browse for a different location.
- Connect your unit to a free serial port (Com 1, 2, 3, or 4) on your PC. The user will need to build an appropriate cable to accomplish this.
- Power up the unit. If you unzipped the files to C:\Garmin follow option 1 below. If you unzipped the files to another directory follow option 2 below.
- If you unzipped the files to C:\Garmin, proceed as follows:
- Navigate your browser to the C:\Garmin folder and run the SNSRCFG program by clicking on the SNSRCFG.exe file. Make sure 'GPS 16A' base model has been selected and click 'OK'.
- Either select Config-Update Software from the menu bar or press F12 to update the software. Normally, you will see a confirmation window indicating that you have connected to the unit. If the connection confirmation window does not appear, there are two possibilities:
- The GPS 16A is not properly connected to your computer. Click 'Cancel'. The update program will not find the GPS 16A and will fail. Verify the serial connections, cycle power on the unit, and try again.
- The unit may be in Garmin (update) mode. In this case, click 'Cancel' to continue with the update.
- A browser window will open and default to the folder C:\Garmin. You may now browse for the correct region file to upload. The correct region file will be named 021600000XXX.rgn, where XXX is the version number of the software you wish to upload. Select region file and click 'Open'.
- At this point, the Garmin software update program, updater.exe, will start. Updater will prompt you to select the appropriate serial port. Click 'OK' to begin the software upload.
- If you unzipped the files to another directory, proceed as follows:
- Run SNSRCFG by clicking on the SNSRCFG.exe file. Make sure 'GPS 16A' base model has been selected and click 'OK'.
- Either select Config-Switch to Garmin mode from the menu bar or press F11 to switch your unit to Garmin (update) mode. If the unit is in NMEA mode you will see a confirmation window saying 'Connection Success'. If the connection confirmation window does not appear, there are two possibilities:
- The GPS 16A is not properly connected to your computer. Verify the serial connections, cycle power on the unit, and try again.
- The unit may already be in Garmin (update) mode. Proceed to step c.
- Change to the directory in which you unzipped the files, (i.e., C:\GARMIN), and run the update program, updater.exe. Select the appropriate serial port and click 'OK' to begin the software upload.
- During the upload, the display will indicate 'Software Loading....'. The upload process should take 1-3 minutes to complete. When the upload is completed, the unit will reset itself and turn on normally. At this point, click the connect button (or select Comm-Connect from the Menu bar). If you select view-NMEA Transmitted Sentences the NMEA sentences should be updating on the screen.
- NOTE: If, for any reason, updater does not completely execute and terminate normally, the GPS 16A system software may be corrupt and the unit will remain in Garmin mode. If this is the case try the following:
- Try to switch the unit back to NMEA mode (press F10 or select Config-Switch to NMEA Mode).
- Check to see if the unit is transmitting NMEA sentences. If the unit is transmitting sentences, verify the software version number via the PGRMT sentence. If the GPS 16A is not transmitting sentences or the version number is not correct, you must reload the software starting with step 4 above.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows 2000 or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for suitable for your OEM unit. The user will need to fabricate one according to the data provided in the Technical Specifications.