Updates & Downloads
GPS 12XL software version 4.60
as of August 4, 2003
View installation instructions and system requirements
- If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product for which it is designed, you will not be able to operate that unit. If attempts to upload software fail, you may need to return the unit to Garmin for service.
- Note: This software is only compatible with the following previous versions: 4.00-4.57
Changes made from version 4.58 to 4.60:
- Updated French translations.
Changes made from version 4.57 to 4.58:
- When receiving a waypoint from NMEA input, initializes the waypoint symbol to a simple dot.
- Updated magnetic variation tables based on the new IGRF 2000 model.
- Corrected Loran TD position format secondary station 'W - Whisky' for chain number GRI-9960.
Changes made from version 4.56 to 4.57:
- Enhanced unit battery life with Power Saver mode.
- Added track area calculation feature.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting zip file for your GPS unit into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\garmin).
- Unzip the files into this directory by running the downloaded executable file (.exe).
- Connect your GPS unit to a free serial port (Com 1, 2, 3, or 4) on your PC with a PC Interface cable.
- Turn on your GPS unit and ensure the Interface setup is set to 'GRMN/GRMN HOST,' 'Garmin,' or 'DATA TRANSFER SLAVE' mode, depending on the specific Garmin model.
- From the DOS prompt, change directory (CD) to the directory in which you unzipped the files, (i.e., c:\garmin), and run the update program: updatesw.exe.
The upload process should take approximately 3-10 minutes to complete. When the upload process is complete, the unit will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC (386 or higher microprocessor running DOS, Windows 3.1x, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0) with an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.