Updates & Downloads
eTrex Legend software version 3.90
as of March 18, 2008
Download Preloaded Marine POI Database for eTrex Legend
If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded Marine POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this Marine POI database. If you currently have MapSource data loaded into your GPS unit, it will be erased and replaced with this POI database.
Download (2.32 MB)
View installation instructions and system requirements
- Reverting back to previously released versions will clear user memory.
- Users are strongly urged to back up any user data they wish to save.
- WARNING: If your current software version is 2.50 or lower, this software will clear all unit data including alamanac information. Back up all user data before upgrading. After installation is complete, place unit with a clear view of the sky for 15-30 minutes to re-acquire almanac data.
Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.90:
- Updated WAAS.
- Updated GEOID model.
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Changes to support manufacturing.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Added RCV_CPO support.
- Added Croatian language support.
- Updated various translations.
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Fixed potential memory corruption problem that could occur when tracking more
than one WAAS satellite simultaneously.
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.40:
- Updated French translations.
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select
the satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the
unit's current position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS
satellite if the unit's current position is outside of a
given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.
- Improved external power detection.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Corrected problem that potentially rounded northing/easting
values when entering or editing waypoints in UTM-based grids.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 3.10:
- Increased active track log to 10,000 points.
- Increased saved track log to 750 points.
- Increased user waypoints to 1,000 waypoints.
- Increased waypoints per route to 125 waypoints.
- Added option on Map Setup page to specify the number of
track points to plot. The most recent points will be
plotted up to the specified number, not exceeding the size
of the track log.
- Improved South African grid.
- Corrected problem where MapSource would give an error
message after transferring a large number of map tiles.
Changes made from version 2.41 to 2.50:
- Added South African Grid support.
- Added Indian Grid support.
- Added GPS Accuracy as a selectable field accessible from the trip computer, map, and compass pages.
- Corrected potential calculator lockup or shutdown.
- Added ownership page to be shown at startup. To enter owner data, select 'Owner Information' option from the main menu page’s option menu.
- Added 'yards' label on trip computer page in big numbers mode.
- Corrected potential shutdowns when do find-by-name city searches with multiple maps types loaded.
Changes made from version 2.39 to 2.41:
- Added battery type selector to improve battery gauge reliability.
- Added page up and down capability on most lists using zoom in and zoom out keys.
- Added a unit's selector for depth.
- Added a unit's selector for vertical speed.
- Added Hungarian Grid.
- Improved display of City Navigator maps so certain points of interest will not show up until the appropriate zoom level.
- Enhanced compass pointer functionality while navigating a route. It now indicates the direction of the turn to the nextpoint in the route in addition to the direction to the current point (when within 15 seconds of the current point).
- Improved accuracy for WAAS EPE.
- Made restore map setup restore defaults set to land mode.
- Made address searches display the street name of the previous search.
- Improved display update on the calculator after pressing the clear button or the clear entry button.
- Improved general usability and error handling of calculator page.
- Improved translations for Czech, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish languages.
- Added the ability to search specific map sets on city searches.
- Improved functionality of user datum.
- Improved display of certain European airport runways.
- General improvements to the operating system that fixed various shutdowns.
Changes made from version 2.38 to 2.39:
- Increased stability of firmware uploads.
- Increased stability of map uploads.
- Made user memory be cleared when backing up firmware revisions.
Changes made from version 2.37 to 2.38:
- Increased measure distance field on map page to 5 characters instead of 4.
- Improved functionality of the yards distance mode.
- Resolved diamonds displaying in location and turn configurable field.
- Allowed trailing zeros to be entered on the calculator accessory.
- Added GPVTG NMEA sentence.
Changes made from version 2.36 to 2.37:
- Improved submerged icon visibility in land mode.
- Fixed backspace button on the keyboard.
- Added time zones for Auckland, Katmandu, and Helsinki.
- Made the location field a long small number configurable field and also a big number configurable field.
- Created a latitude/longitude configurable field. This allows for viewing two position formats simultaneously.
- Added supports for yards as a distance.
- Various translation updates.
- Added a calculate area enclosed by route feature.
- Fixed area calculation accessory problem with Hungarian language.
- Added calculator accessory.
- General improvements to operating system that correct system lockups and shutdowns.
Changes made from version 2.35 to 2.36:
- Reverted to outputting the GPGSA, GPGSV, GPRTE, GPWPL, and PSLIB sentences via NMEA.
Changes made from version 2.34 to 2.35:
- Reverted display of active track log to three pixels.
- Made water mode display map boundaries.
- Added description to some BlueChart features.
- Fixed the moon phase.
- Reverted to outputting the heading sentence via NMEA.
- Fixed Italian translation of nautical miles.
Changes made from version 2.33 to 2.34:
- Improve WAAS operation when transitioning from areas of ionospheric data coverage.
- Added a land mode and a water mode for the map.
- Add support for MapSource BlueChart data.
- Fixed translations of power up warning.
- Added RT-90 map datum and position format.
- Fixed option menu on the MapSource information page to display all subsets of maps to be turned on and off as a set.
- Made the external power down page count down by one and always pop up when external power is lost.
- When saving a waypoint after a find by name, made the waypoint have a meaningful name.
- Fixed shutdown problem related to European road and rec maps.
- Fixed the route list displaying multiple active routes when more then 15 saved routes existed.
- Fixed auto daylight savings time setting.
- On the trip computer page, when using big numbers, made elevations over 10,000 ft display.
- General improvements to operating system that correct system lockups and shutdowns.
Changes made from version 2.32 to 2.33:
- Improved WAAS operation when more than one WAAS satellite is visible.
- Added geocache icons.
- Fixed shutdown problem related to low battery.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.32:
- Fixed the pointer field on the compass page.
- Fixed date field so it no longer allows invalid dates on the hunt and fish page.
- Fixed a lock up problem in the track area accessory.
- Saving a point of interest as a waypoint now gives the waypoint a meaningful name.
- Fixed track log so it saves the user setting of on or off after the unit is powered off.
- Fixed problem with overlapping maps where no map detail would be displayed at certain zoom levels.
- Added precision to distance fields.
- Improved German translations.
- Fixed appearance of small compass on the navigation page.
Changes made from version 2.29 to 2.30:
- Allow negative elevations.
- Changed the compass to displays MILS while the unit is set to MILS.
- Fixed the delete notes on the calendar.
- Fixed problem when activating a goto, where the waypoint is not on the active route. Now the route will be deactivated.
- Added new NMEA sentence, PGRMM, for reporting datum parameters.
- Added the ability to select more choices for the configurable fields on the map page, compass page, and trip computer page.
- Added new accessory for calculating area of a track.
- Display the area of a saved track on the track detail page.
- Added measure distance feature to the map page.
- Improved Swedish and Hungarian translations.
Changes made from version 2.28 to 2.29:
- Correctly determine the date the first time satellites are acquired after the unit has been stored without batteries.
Changes made from version 2.27 to 2.28:
- Fixed a problem with the project waypoint feature that occurred when using a north reference other than true north.
- Fixed the Transportation Points of Interest subtype menu to be in the correct order.
- Improved support for the upcoming Points of Interest CD.
- Improved support for the Fishing Hot Spots™ CD to display fishing areas on the map.
- Improved Spanish, French, and Dutch translations.
- Renamed existing Hu-Tzu-Shan datum to Taiwan, and added a new datum named Hu-Tu-Shan, which conforms to the NIMA definition.
Changes made from version 2.26 to 2.27:
- Fixed map update anomaly.
- Fixed map not updating after loading new maps.
- Added support for finding Geographic points if they exist on map.
- Corrected Vertical Speed configurable field that got changed in previous version.
Changes made from version 2.25 to 2.26:
- Fixed bug that was introduced in software version 2.25 that caused the unit to freeze for several minutes when the Poor Satellite Reception page pops up.
- Moved zoom scale back to the lower left-hand corner of the map where it was originally intended.
Changes made from version 2.24 to 2.25:
- Added multi-language support (Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish).
- Fixed the Turn configurable field so it does not apply north reference offset.
- Fixed memory corruption that occurred when clearing all fields on the Find Address/Intersection pages.
- Added Demo Mode to the System Setup page.
- Added search indicator when doing a Spell 'N Find search.
- Made cursor movement on keyboard smoother when doing a Spell 'N Find search.
- Increased list-scrolling speed when doing a Spell 'N Find search.
- Save User Grid Settings.
- Fixed Delete All Waypoints bug that would cause the unit to shut off.
- Added support for the Fishing Hot Spots™ CD.
- Added support for the Points of Interest CD.
Changes made from version 2.22 to 2.24:
- Fixed bug when loading maps while GPS is turned off.
- Fixed memory bug that causes unit to lock up.
- Allow special characters to be entered when Spell 'N Finding cities and points of interest.
- Increased the number of zoom levels to include 80, 50, 30, and 20 ft.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.22:
- Changed some messages to have a shorter timeout.
- Light key now works while panning on map.
- Fixed bug on Reset Page when 'Delete Saved Tracks' was selected.
- Changed default response when deleting a route to 'No'.
- No more long pause when going to the Route Definition Page.
- Increased pixel width of the user waypoint id field.
- Changed 'Text' and 'Zoom' to 'Text Size' and 'Max Zoom' on the Map Setup Page.
- Fixed map zoom problem where MapSource detail was not displayed at certain zoom levels.
- Notify system after MapSource is done loading.
- Fixed Tracback bug.
- Corrected lock-up issue when using find operation with European MetroGuide maps containing types with a single subtype.
- Corrected copyright strings for maps on power-on page.
- Corrected find operation across multiple European MetroGuide maps.
- Replaced manual map selection with automatic map selection for find operations based on current position or map pointer.
- Made aesthetic changes to the Hunt & Fish page.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting zip file for your GPS unit into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\garmin).
- Unzip the files into this directory by running the downloaded executable file (.exe).
- Connect your GPS unit to a free serial port (Com 1, 2, 3, or 4) on your PC with a PC Interface cable.
- Turn on your GPS unit and ensure the Interface setup is set to 'GRMN/GRMN HOST,' 'GARMIN,' or 'DATA TRANSFER SLAVE' mode, depending on the specific GARMIN model.
- Change to the directory in which you unzipped the files, (i.e., c:\garmin) and run this update program: updater.exe. Select the appropriate serial port and click 'OK' to begin the software upload. The upload process should take approximately 3-10 minutes to complete. When the upload process is complete, the unit will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.