Updates & Downloads
GPS 72 software version 2.50
as of May 9, 2008
Download Preloaded POI Database for GPS 72
If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this POI database. If you currently have MapSource data loaded into your GPS unit, it will be erased and replaced with this POI database.
Download (2.32 MB)
View installation instructions and system requirements
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Fixed potential shutdown related to WAAS.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Improved WAAS functionality.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Improved non-volatile memory storage of WAAS/EGNOS ionospheric mask corrections.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:
- French translation update.
Changes made from version 2.04 to 2.10:
- Fixed problem with changing elevation units. Users are now able to change to meters without having to restart the unit.
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select the satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the unit's current position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's current position is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.
- Fixed some incorrect Italian translation strings.
- Added new 'Distance and Speed' unit. The new unit is 'Nautical (nm, kt, m)'. The old 'Nautical' is now 'Nautical (nm, kt, ft)'. The new unit is the same as the old, except it shows the small measurements in meters instead of feet.
- New French translations.
Changes made from version 2.03 to 2.04:
- Update supports new display. No changes were made that affect user operation.
Changes made from version 2.02 to 2.03:
- Improved low battery detection and notification.
- Improved invalid key press detection to prevent inadvertent shutdown.
- Corrected German translations.
Changes made from version 2.01 to 2.02:
- Corrected problem that cleared waypoint comments every power cycle.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Open the C:\Garmin (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named "Updater" and double click on it.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open serial port. Turn the GPS on, place it in Simulator mode (refer to your owner's manual for instructions) and verify that the Interface Mode (found under the Main Menu page, refer to your owner's manual for instructions) is set to GARMIN, GRMN, GRMN/GRMN, or Data Transfer/Host mode.
- Click on the "OK" button on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.