Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 278 software version 3.60
as of May 13, 2013
View installation instructions and system requirements
- WARNING: If you are updating from a previous software version, this software may clear user memory.
- Please back up important data (routes, tracks, and waypoints) to MapSource prior to updating.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Support for new 010-10517-02 battery pack
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition processing
- Updated magnetic variation table with IGRF 2010 model
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:
- Added support for large NAND datacards
- Improved power-up processing
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
- Improved battery gauge accuracy
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Improved compatibility with 512MB data card
- Improved map display when both internal maps and maps on a data card are visible
- Improved unit behavior when a blank data card is inserted
- Improved display of battery charge level
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.10:
- Corrected address search operation with MPC maps.
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition under certain conditions.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
- Corrected external voltage alarm persistent behavior between power cycles.
- Corrected state and country information for city searches.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Improved NMEA output.
- Daylight saving changes for United States.
- Added Mexican time zones.
- Corrected address and postal code searches when a datacard is present.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Corrected 'persist' setting for external voltage alarm.
- Improved ability to move user waypoints while editing a route.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Improved display of recommended route lines on marine charts.
- Added capability to send routes containing custom POIs to MapSource. Requires MapSource version 6.12.
- Improved city selection operation for European address searches.
- Improved operation when moving user waypoints with the map cursor.
- Corrected issue with changing usage mode from the Setup tab of the main menu.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Corrected issue that could cause 'WorldMap' series maps from being displayed.
- Increased the number of characters allowed to display map zoom status.
- Corrected text translations.
- Clear trip data to correct issue with previously stored data.
- Added Czech voice support.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.30:
- Corrected issue in previous software revision that could prevent the time zone from being changed.
- Corrected issue that could cause the odometer field value to become inaccurate.
- Corrected occasional unit shutdown during powerup.
- Updated text translations for Italian.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file for your GPSMAP278 onto your hard drive.
- Connect your GPSMAP278 to a free USB or serial port on your PC with the correct PC interface cable.
- Turn on your GPSMAP278.
If you are using USB, ensure it shows USB as connected when the cable is plugged in.
If you are using serial, ensure the Serial Data Format is set to 'Garmin Data Transfer' for the port you are using. You can find this setting on the 'Interface' tab of the 'Setup' section of the Main Menu.
- Open the self-extracting archive file and follow the instructions provided by the update application.
During the upload, the GPSMAP278's display will indicate 'Software Loading....' The upload process should take 1-10 minutes to complete, depending on interface used for update. When the upload is completed, the GPSMAP278 will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.