Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 496 software version 4.70
as of April 30, 2013
View installation instructions and system requirements
- This update will also upgrade the software in your GXM30 antenna to version 2.30.
- This update will also upgrade the software in your GXM40 antenna to version 2.30.
Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.70:
- Additional support for new 010-10517-02 battery pack
Changes made from version 4.50 to 4.60:
- Support new 010-10517-02 battery pack
Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.40:
- Improve data validation process for incoming XM/Sirius 'County Warning' data
- Improve XM/Sirius SIGMET data processing
Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.30:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition processing
- Updated magnetic variation table with IGRF 2010 model
Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.20:
- Added support for large NAND datacards
Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.10:
- Support expanded terrain data coverage
- Standardized Icing Forecast terminology
- Improved XM TFR data validity process
- Improved XM subscription activation processing
- Improved power-up processing
Changes made from version 3.80 to 4.00:
- Displayed facility name and city data on Go To page
- Improved Active Route page functionality
Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.80:
- Improved airport runway length display
- Improved METAR visibility data display
- Improved XM weather data map display algorithm
- Added support for GXM 40 antenna
- Added support for Icing, Turbulence Forecast, and PIREPS data
- Improved battery gauge accuracy
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Improved XM data validation for XM subscribers with weather data only.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Improved terrain alerting over oceanic areas
- Improved compatibility with 512MB data card
- Improved map display when both internal maps and maps on a data card are visible
- Improved unit behavior when a blank data card is inserted
- Improved route leg transition when traveling at high speed
- Added display of vertical visibility when reviewing a METAR
- Improved display of battery charge level
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.50:
- Corrected address search operation with MPC maps.
- Corrected user waypoint delete operation on the 'Go To'
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:
- Added compatibility with Jeppesen database 0711 and later.
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition under certain conditions.
- Improved operation of flight log when a heliport is near the departure or destination airport and the aircraft type is not set to Helicopter.
- Improved ability to highlight certain areas of Class B airspace when a Mode C veil overlaps.
- Improved remote frequency list sent to the SL-30/SL-40.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Improved map processing to allow highlighting TMA and Class B airspace together.
- Corrected external voltage alarm persistent behavior between power cycles.
- Corrected state and country information for city searches.
- Corrected problem deleting a user waypoint on the 'Go To' page.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Improvements to TAF & METAR reports for visibility and remarks.
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
- Improved NMEA output.
- Added support for Canadian weather data.
- Daylight saving changes for United States.
- Added Mexican time zones.
- Corrected address and postal code searches when a datacard is present.
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
- Corrected issue that would prevent trip or flight distances from being recorded.
- Corrected 'persist' setting for external voltage alarm.
- Improved ability to move user waypoints while editing a route.
- Improved display of very large TFRs when the map is zoomed in very far.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
- Corrected issue with scaling of speed indicator on panel page.
- Improved TFR highlighting when multiple TFRs of the same size with different activation times are in the same location.
- Added indication of amended and corrected TAF bulletins.
- Corrected item labels on airspace alarm setup page.
- Improved NMEA data output.
- Added capability to send routes containing Visual Reporting Points (VRP) to MapSource. Requires MapSource version 6.12.
- Improved city selection operation for European address searches.
- Improved operation when moving user waypoints with the map cursor.
- Corrected issue with changing usage mode from the Setup tab of the main menu.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Corrected issue that could cause 'WorldMap' series maps from being displayed.
- Increased the number of characters allowed to display map zoom status.
- Corrected text translations.
- Clear trip data to correct issue with previously stored data.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Corrected display of communication frequency displayed on Airport and Nearest pages for airports that have multiple Unicom or Multicom frequencies.
- Corrected issue in previous software revision that could prevent the time zone from being changed.
- Corrected issue that could cause intermittent dropouts in NMEA data output.
- Corrected issue that could cause the odometer field value to become inaccurate.
- Corrected occasional unit shutdown during powerup.
- Improved Aviation In communication format by preventing duplicate waypoints from being added to the route when the remote unit is navigating a procedure turn.
- Improved address search when using postal codes.
- Updated text translations.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Corrected issue that could cause flights to be recorded while driving on land when the unit is in aviation mode.
- Corrected issue that would cause City Navigator map data to be enabled by default in marine mode.
- Added feature to automatically zoom in to view SafeTaxi charts when Auto Zoom is enabled and the aircraft is on the ground.
- Added ability to adjust size of AOPA text.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Corrected selection of duplicate aviation identifiers.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Improved display of TFR times between 12:00 PM and 12:59 PM.
- Improved map drawing speed when terrain shading is enabled.
- Improved map drawing speed when many custom POI alerts are present.
- Added 'Smart Airspace' feature, which automatically reduces map clutter by de-emphasizing airspace that is not close to your present altitude. This feature can be enabled or disabled by choosing 'Set Up Map' from the map page option menu, navigating to the 'Airspace tab', and changing the 'Smart Airspace' setting.
- Improved airport tower frequency display processing for airports with more than one tower frequency available.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file for your GPSMAP496 onto your hard drive.
- Connect your GPSMAP496 to a free USB or serial port on your PC with the correct PC interface cable.
- Turn on your GPSMAP496.
If you are using USB, ensure it shows USB as connected when the cable is plugged in.
If you are using serial, ensure the Serial Data Format is set to 'Garmin Data Transfer' for the port you are using. You can find this setting on the 'Interface' tab of the 'Setup' section of the Main Menu.
- Open the self-extracting archive file and follow the instructions provided by the update application.
During the upload, the GPSMAP496's display will indicate 'Software Loading....' The upload process should take 1-10 minutes to complete, depending on interface used for update. When the upload is completed, the GPSMAP496 will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.