Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 76S software version 4.00
as of June 7, 2006
Download Preloaded POI Database for GPSMAP 76S
If MapSource data is loaded to this unit, this unit's preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download the file below to recover this POI database.
Download (2.32 MB)
View installation instructions and system requirements
- WARNING: If you are updating from a previous software version, this software will clear user memory.
- Please back up important data (routes, tracks, and waypoints) to MapSource prior to updating.
Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.00:
- Fixed NMEA sentence HCHDG to show magnetic heading correctly when user has selected magnetic north reference.
Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.90:
- Improve WAAS search and selection process.
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.70:
- Fixed shutoff problem with certain European tides.
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Corrected problem with European tides.
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Improved non-volatile memory storage of WAAS/EGNOS ionospheric mask corrections.
- Reduced delays in acquiring a position when using differential GPS.
- Added Canadian tide support.
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:
- French translation update.
- Added the option to turn off the recording of track points and vertical trip computer data by virtually turning off the altimeter. An altimeter status (on/off) determines when it is okay to save track points due to altitude changes and when to update the vertical trip computer.
Changes made from version 3.21 to 3.30:
- Fixed bug introduced in last release. Exit information was not being displayed properly.
- Added updated support for RCV_CPO data.
- Fixed problem with changing elevation units. Users are now able to change to meters without having to restart the unit.
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select the satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the unit's current position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's current position is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.
- Added new 'Distance and Speed' unit. The new unit is 'Nautical (nm, kt, m)'. The old 'Nautical' is now 'Nautical (nm, kt, ft)'. The new unit is the same as the old, except it shows the small measurements in meters instead of feet.
- New French translations.
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.21:
- Added tide support for European and Australian tides version 5.0.
- Added support for RCV_CPO data.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Restored transmission of GSV NMEA sentences in full for
every two-second update.
- Corrected display of available route waypoints on the Route Setup Map page.
Changes made from version 2.01 to 3.10:
- Increased the active track log to 10,000 points.
- Increased each saved track log to 750 points.
- Increased user waypoints to 1,000 waypoints.
- Improved various translations.
- Added EOV Hungarian and South African grid support.
- Added functionality to start, stop, or resume navigation
from the Route Detail page's option menu.
- Corrected Canadian MetroGuide information to not display
- Corrected potential shutoff on Elevation Plot page.
- Improved glide ratio to calculate all the time, not just when navigating
- Corrected problem where 'Hold Level' could not be removed when using
user north settings.
- Added depth labels for Isolate Danger Depths in BlueChart maps.
- Corrected problem where track log would connect last known position before
powerdown to first known position at powerup.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.01:
- Eliminated possible shutoffs when repeatedly finding Cities or Points of Interest.
- Eliminated possibly storing bad data when starting a Goto, which would cause the unit to shut off and would prevent the unit from turning on again.
- Eliminated possible shutoffs and lockups when selecting a street for finding addresses or intersections using newer maps.
- Corrected HCHDG NMEA sentence to output magnetic heading rather than true heading.
- Added a Setup Routes item to the Routes main menu page which allows setting the route waypoint transitions to Manual. When set to Manual, routes will transition to the next waypoint only when instructed to do so by the user.
- Added a Setup NMEA output item to the Interface setup page menu when the Serial Data Format is set to NMEA. This allows setting the following for the NMEA output: the precision of the minutes field for lat/lon, the waypoint identifier format, and which groups of sentences to transmit. These settings allow compatibility with a wider range of NMEA-driven products including some older marine autopilots.
- Made vertical speed more responsive when a 3D location is available.
- Improved the plot page: quickened response to Page key, Quit key, and new plot data; added a current data value indicator; allowed the cursor to wrap left/right when panning.
- Added Location (both chosen & default formats) as choices for Medium and Large configurable fields
- Added glide ratio, glide ratio to target, and vertical speed to target as choices for all configurable fields.
- Added a separate setup item for vertical speed units to the Units setup page, which allows the vertical speed units to be ft/min, m/min, or m/sec independent of the Altitude units.
- Added receiving water depth through DBT NMEA input sentence.
- Added new Point of Interest types when supported by the map data.
- Allowed finding duplicately-named cities by name across multiple maps of the same type if supported by the map data.
- Continue to update trip computer and track log with elevation data when satellite reception is lost.
- Improved the accuracy of the estimated accuracy value.
- Prevented possible corruption of time in GARMIN output format.
- Removed creating user waypoints if the route waypoint memory is full when receiving routes from MapSource.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Open the C:\Garmin (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named "Updater" and double click on it.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open serial port. Turn the GPS on, place it in Simulator mode (refer to your owner's manual for instructions) and verify that the Interface Mode (found under the Main Menu page, refer to your owner's manual for instructions) is set to GARMIN, GRMN, GRMN/GRMN, or Data Transfer/Host mode.
- Click on the "OK" button on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.