Updates & Downloads
GPSMAP 378 software version 4.20
as of May 13, 2013
View installation instructions and system requirements
- Please back up important data (routes, tracks, and waypoints) to MapSource prior to updating.
- This update will also upgrade the software in your GXM30 antenna to version 2.30.
- This update will also upgrade the software in your GXM40 antenna to version 2.30.
Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.20:
- Support for new 010-10517-02 battery pack
Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.10:
- Improved data validation process for incoming XM/Sirius 'County Warning' data
Changes made from version 3.90 to 4.00:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition processing
- Updated magnetic variation table with IGRF 2010 model
Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:
- Added support for large NAND datacards
- Improved power-up processing
- Improved XM subscription activation processing
Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.80:
- Improved XM weather data map display algorithm
- Added support for GXM 40 antenna
- Improved battery gauge accuracy
Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.60:
- Improved XM data validation for XM subscribers with weather data only.
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:
- Improved compatibility with 512MB data card
- Improved map display when both internal maps and maps on a data card are visible
- Improved unit behavior when a blank data card is inserted
- Improved display of battery charge level
Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.40:
- Corrected address search operation with MPC maps.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:
- Improved GPS satellite acquisition under certain conditions.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Corrected external voltage alarm persistent behavior between power cycles.
- Corrected state and country information for city searches.
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:
- Improved NMEA output.
- Added support for Canadian weather data.
- Daylight saving changes for United States.
- Added Mexican time zones.
- Corrected address and postal code searches when a datacard is present.
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:
- Corrected 'persist' setting for external voltage alarm.
- Improved ability to move user waypoints while editing a route.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
- Improved display of recommended route lines on marine charts.
- Improved operation when moving user waypoints with the map cursor.
- Corrected issue with changing usage mode from the Setup tab of the main menu.
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Corrected issue that could cause 'WorldMap' series maps from being displayed.
- Increased the number of characters allowed to display map zoom status.
- Corrected text translations.
- Clear trip data to correct issue with previously stored data.
- Added Czech voice support.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Corrected issue that could cause the odometer field value to become inaccurate.
- Corrected occasional unit shutdown during powerup.
- Improved address search when using postal codes.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Changed distance displayed when measuring distance on the map page to use two digits of precision in marine mode.
- Improved performance of Marine Services search.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.40:
- Improved reception of weather data
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:
- Corrected map family name display.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.10:
- Improved display of timestamp for winds and pressure data.
- Improved display of lake depth contours.
- Improved TracBack when using the entire track.
- Improved GPS reception.
- Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file for your GPSMAP378 onto your hard drive.
- Connect your GPSMAP378 to a free USB or serial port on your PC with the correct PC interface cable.
- Turn on your GPSMAP378.
If you are using USB, ensure it shows USB as connected when the cable is plugged in.
If you are using serial, ensure the Serial Data Format is set to 'Garmin Data Transfer' for the port you are using. You can find this setting on the 'Interface' tab of the 'Setup' section of the Main Menu.
- Open the self-extracting archive file and follow the instructions provided by the update application.
During the upload, the GPSMAP378's display will indicate 'Software Loading....' The upload process should take 1-10 minutes to complete, depending on interface used for update. When the upload is completed, the GPSMAP378 will reset itself and turn on normally.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB or Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.