Updates & Downloads
GPS V software version 2.60
as of October 30, 2008
View installation instructions and system requirements
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Fixed problem aquiring WAAS satellites.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Further improvements and corrections for WAAS support in the Eastern Hemisphere.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Fixed potential memory corruption problem that could occur when tracking more than one WAAS satellite simultaneously.
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Updated French translations.
- Improved map drawing for units using Atlantic BlueChart v5.
- Improved WAAS/EGNOS satellite selection algorithm to select the satellite with the most beneficial corrections given the unit's current position. A unit will not use a WAAS/EGNOS satellite if the unit's current position is outside of a given WAAS/EGNOS satellite's service volume.
Changes made from version 2.08 to 2.20:
- Improved auto-route calculation process when transiting from poor to good satellite reception.
- Reset map zoom levels to correct a problem that was preventing areas like parks and lakes from being displayed on the map.
- Corrected auto zoom behavior while navigating a TracBack route.
- Corrected intermittent problem that would caused the GPS V to lockup during an off-route recalculation.
- Disable 'lock on road' feature when navigating a TracBack.
- Added 'units' selection for distance to the Waypoint Projection page.
- Fixed auto zoom problem that was observed when doing direct gotos and manual routes.
- Navigation state changes made without a fix will now be preserved between power cycles.
- Improved turn-arrow display when multiple turns are in view.
- Added support for adding and removing via points.
- Added 'Follow Roads' support to manual routes.
- Added the ability to display the next turn 'Turn Review' page by using the UP and DOWN cursor keys during autoroute navigation.
- Added support for selecting interstate names found in more that one state when searching for interstate exits. ( ex. I-470 in KS or MO )
- Added 'Shutdown On Arrival' to the 'Guidance' Setup Tab page.
- Added EOV Hungarian Grid and South African Grid support.
- Correct reported calculator page problems.
- Added 'Memory Race' Game.
Changes made from version 2.07 to 2.08:
- Corrected problem with the guidance setup selection for the 'Off-Route Recalculation' prompt.
- Added GPS Accuracy to the list of configurable fields.
- Changed map legend font size.
- Improved error checking on the calculator page.
Changes made from version 2.05 to 2.07:
- Added MILS angle support to compass displays.
- Added 'Vertical Speed' units selection field to the 'Units' setup tab page.
- Corrected problem sorting and selecting the nearest user waypoint.
- Improved the 'Turn Review' page map processing to update the next turn quicker when turns are close together.
- Changed distance displays where appropriate to never show fractional parts of feet or meters.
- Corrected problem panning the map in portrait mode after route calculation.
- Corrected problem that caused repeated or looping off route recalculations.
- Made corrections to European language translations.
Changes made from version 2.04 to 2.05:
- Corrected intermittent lockup with 'Lock On Road' processing.
- Corrected popup screen placement that effected Italian and Spanish language selection.
- Corrected lockup when moving cursor into route list before route type was determined to be manual or auto-route.
- Added calculator feature to accessories menu.
Changes made from version 2.03 to 2.04:
- Corrected lockup when processing routes that contained more than 20 via points.
- Improved error-checking process on saved routes.
- # Increased max number of via points to 50.
- Corrected turn arrow operation on map page while navigating a TracBack route.
- Corrected lockup on Fuel Usage page when metric units for distance & speed is selected.
Changes made from version 2.02 to 2.03:
- Display 'Approaching Waypoint' message while navigating a manual point-to-point route.
- Changed range threshold for altitude display when 'Meters' is the selected units. (From 1000m to 10000m).
- Changed vertical speed display to use four digits.
- Added to the course pointer compass on the 'Direction Finder' page, a 'To/From' flag to indicate when you have passed the destination waypoint.
- Added menu option to select maps when searching for cities nearest or by name.
- Display duplicate city names when searching by name.
- Changed anchor drag distance on 'Alarm Setup' page to display feet or meters.
- Display the current basemap name along with any supplemental map names on power up.
- Added alphanumeric address number search support.
- Added support for metric units on the 'Gas Mileage' page.
- Added 'Recalculate' menu option to the 'Map' page.
- Changed address font size to allow more text characters to be displayed and correct missing phone number bug.
- Make sure 'Lock On Road' map setting is enabled while navigating auto-routes and disabled for direct goto or manual point-to-point routes.
- Added NiCad and NiMH battery support.
- On the 'Next Turn' page, removed extra precision when displaying distance in feet.
- Improved the next turn notification when turns are close together.
- Display the current baud rate when loading maps from MapSource.
- Improved route transfer to and from MapSource.
- Reduced off route distance threshold for City Select maps.
- Increased number of route points used for auto-routes.
- Added text translations for Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
- Increased active track latitude and longitude storage precision.
- Corrected 'Lockup' problem while navigating an auto-route in simulator mode.
- General improvements to auto-route calculation processing.
- Added 'Alarm Clock' setting to the 'Timers' setup tab page.
- Set message to notify the user when track log is full.
Changes made from version 2.01 to 2.02:
- Added 'wait cursor' map pointer.
- Added additional position formats.
- Added 'User Grid' position format setup page.
- Make sure 'lock on road' map setting is ON for 'Fastest Time' and 'Shortest Distance' route preference and OFF for the 'Off Road' selection.
- Added BlueChart marine data support.
- Added diacritics support.
- Added animation to the data transfer page.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Open the C:\Garmin (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named "Updater" and double click on it.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open serial port. Turn the GPS on, place it in Simulator mode (refer to your owner's manual for instructions) and verify that the Interface Mode (found under the Main Menu page, refer to your owner's manual for instructions) is set to GARMIN, GRMN, GRMN/GRMN, or Data Transfer/Host mode.
- Click on the "OK" button on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.