Updates & Downloads
fenix 5 software version 2.96 Beta
as of April 25, 2017
View installation instructions and system requirements
- For any issues that you encounter, please send an email to email@example.com. In your email please include the Fenix 5 model you own, software version, and a detailed description of your issue, along with any steps to reproduce. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
- Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.
Changes made from version 2.96 to 2.95:
- Added support for a new app, 'Boating'.
- Improved the power controls menu and introduced a 'disabled' state for connected features like Find My Phone, Music Controls etc. These applications will no longer disappear from the power controls menu, when the user has lost connection to the Garmin Connect Mobile App.
- Improved the lap times accuracy reported by the Stopwatch.
- Improved the responsiveness of steps auto-goal.
- Fixed an issue, where the device could crash when attempting navigation to a nearby location with all GPS enabled profiles disabled.
- Fixed an issue, where the watch would incorrectly report that GPS signal was lost, while using UltraTrac.
- Fixed a potential issue, where 'Music Controls' would intermittently lose connection with the smartphone.
Changes made from version 2.72 to 2.95:
- Added support for Connect IQ SDK 2.3.
- Added support for managing automatic software updates (Settings > System > Software Update > Auto Update). Setting Auto Update to 'Off' will disable downloads of software updates using Garmin Connect Mobile and Wi-Fi.
- Added support for managing unit settings for pressure, altimeter and temperature from corresponding widget settings menu.
- Improved altimeter calibration for activities that were paused for extended periods of time.
- Improved the layout of the alarm page.
- Improved the activity settings menu by hiding GPS specific settings when GPS is turned off.
- Improved the reliability of LiveTrack.
- Updated the summary view to include average Pace data for a pool swim activity.
- Fixed a potential issue where the currently selected watch face may change after a software update.
- Fixed an issue where the device could crash when applying a FaceIt watch face from the Garmin Connect Mobile App.
- Fixed an issue where the 'Uninstall' option on the Garmin Connect Mobile App would not work as intended.
- Fixed an issue, where the option to 'Copy Activity' was present in the main menu for non-copyable apps like Golf.
- Fixed an issue, where the unit would crash when creating a custom alert for a new 'Other' app.
- Fixed an issue, where the virtual partner fields, 'Time Ahead' and 'Time Behind' won't update during an activity.
- Fixed an issue, where an empty elevation plot was being displayed during activity review for apps like, 'Rowing', which doesn't record elevation data.
- Fixed an issue, where alarms deleted on the Garmin Connect Mobile App would not reflect correctly on the device.
- Fixed an issue, where the user would not get alert popups during a Lactate Threshold or FTP guided workout.
- Fixed an issue, where GPS could become enabled for indoor profiles after performing an altimeter calibration.
- Fixed an issue, where the device was calculating VO2 max for activities using UltraTrac.
- Fixed an issue, where the 'Do Not Disturb' window was not updated when travelling across time zone boundaries.
- Fixed an issue, where the user could not send tracks or waypoints to the device from BaseCamp.
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.72:
- Added support for GroupTrack with Livetrack. (Garmin Connect Mobile > Menu > Livetrack > GroupTrack.)
- Added support for Bontrager bike lights.
- Added support for 'Countdown Start' when using Pool Swim. (Settings > Activities and Apps > Pool Swim > Pool Swim Settings > Countdown Start)
- Added support for recording FIT files with Golf activities.
- Added instructional tips for the Training Status page and Performance widget.
- Added support for CIQ apps to access Bike Light features.
- Added support for Running Dynamics Pod.
- Fixed an issue with Virtual Partner not displaying time ahead/behind information correctly.
- Fixed an intermittent issue where the Fenix device won't auto connect to the Mobile app after powering up.
- Fixed a couple of scenarios where the 'In-activity' backlight settings were not being respected.
- Fixed an issue where the device could crash while creating custom alerts for 'Other' apps
- Fixed an issue where Wi-Fi was still offered as a Hotkey on non-WIFI devices.
- Fixed a potential issue with Portuguese and Hebrew keyboards.
- Fixed a potential issue where LiveTrack does not stop after ending an activity.
- Fixed crash that could occur when course files with special characters were loaded.
- Made general improvements to increase product stability.
- Improved messaging for when a course exceeds the device's course point limit.
- Download and unzip fenix_***Beta.zip
- Place the gupdate.gcd file found in the System_v*** folder in the \GARMIN directory
- Place the gupXXXX.gcd file found in the Sensor Hub_v*** folder in the \GARMIN\REMOTESW directory
- Place the gupXXXX.gcd file found in the GPS_v*** folder in the \GARMIN\REMOTESW directory
- Place all files found in the Text_v*** folder in the \Garmin\TEXT directory
- Disconnect from your computer and proceed through the update.
- If you would like to revert to the last public release software, follow the instructions above up to step 3, but place the gupdate.gcd file found in the System_Backdate_v290 folder in the \GARMIN directory
- NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available USB port.