Updates & Downloads
Fishfinder 160 software version 2.40
as of July 31, 2003
View installation instructions and system requirements
- Due to a hardware change in the Fishfinder 160, there are now two different software versions for the unit. Both versions are included in the downloadable file.
- If the current software version in the unit is less than 2.20, and the serial number of the unit is equal or less than 50079999, the latest software should be version 2.16.
- If the current software version in the unit is equal or greater than 2.20, and the serial number of the unit is greater than 5007999, the latest software should be version 2.32.
Changes made from version 2.32 to 2.40:
- Updated the French translation.
- Updated company name and copyright information.
- Added a lower limit to gain stepping when trying to reaquire the bottom in shallow water.
Changes made from version 2.31 to 2.32:
- Corrected invalid speed calibration if calibration process is cancelled. Completing the speed calibration process did not result in the error so there is no need to recalibrate with this software update if previous calibrations were not cancelled.
- Improved update efficiency by reducing the number of STC computations needed.
- Corrected blanking error when a zoomed sonar image undergoes a range change.
- Added more filtering to water temperature.
- Improved noise rejector some. Now less likely to reject weak signals when rejection isn't necessary.
- Use correct fish ID bitmap transforms. Transformations were working correctly by accident, now they work on purpose.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.31:
- Turn off transmitter if unit is powered on in an overvoltage condition.
Changes made from version 2.23 to 2.30:
- Cleaned up the appearance of the lower case 'u' character in some fonts.
- Made the appearance of large number characters more consistent with the smaller sizes.
- Improved the appearance of the slider field when the slider is at the end of the slot.
- Changed the interface method for noise rejection to be a manually adjusted slider instead of a fixed list of pre-determined levels. Auto noise rejection operation did not change.
- Made digital depth acquisition faster for shallower depths.
- Fixed a problem where digital bottom tracking could attempt to track with an invalid tracking table index resulting in incorrect sonar receiver settings for the current water depth.
- Improved contrast of the bottom at deep depths.
- Made receiver bias calculations less sensitive to voltage transients.
Changes made from version 2.22 to 2.23:
- Improved factory calibration processes.
Changes made from version 2.21 to 2.22:
- Improved transmitter performance.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.16:
- Corrected unit shutdown when the highlight is on the 'depth line' field and the up arrow key is pressed.
- Remove simulator icon when exiting simulator mode.
- Made changes to prevent possible unit lock-up.
- It is recommended that you disable screen savers or other programs running on your PC while you go through the update process. Disruptions to the update process may render your GPS inoperable. If the transfer is interrupted, turn off the GPS and then turn it back on. Reboot your PC, go to step #9 and attempt the download again. GARMIN is not responsible for failed downloads of operating software to the GPS and factory resetting the GPS unit will fall under our Flat Rate Repair Policy.
- Click on "Download" and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily locate the file by saving it to a location such as the "My Documents" folder or to "C:\".
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. This will launch the Win-Zip Self Extractor. This program compresses the data to allow for a faster download of the needed files.
- A program window will appear asking you where to "Un-zip" the files. This is by default C:\Garmin. You can change this location if you like. Be sure to note where the un-zipped files are going to allow you to find them!
- Click on the button labeled "Un-zip".
- Once the un-zip process is complete, click on the "Close" button to exit the Win-Zip Self Extractor.
- Open the C:\Garmin (or other folder where you un-zipped the files), locate the file named "Updater" and double click on it.
- Connect your GPS to your computer using a GARMIN PC Interface cable to an open serial port. Turn the GPS on, place it in Simulator mode (refer to your owner's manual for instructions) and verify that the Interface Mode (found under the Main Menu page, refer to your owner's manual for instructions) is set to GARMIN, GRMN, GRMN/GRMN, or Data Transfer/Host mode.
- Click on the "OK" button on the Updater program window to start the data transfer.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows XP or later operating system and an available Com 1, 2, 3, or 4 port.
- PC Interface Cable for your GPS unit. The PC Interface Cable may be purchased through your local Garmin distributor or ordered direct from our Online Store.