GPSMAP 5012 software version 7.80
as of June 29, 2015
Changes made from version 7.70 to 7.80:
- Fixed Route Creation when using filtered Waypoint Turn List.
- Improved support for Reactor autopilot.
Changes made from version 7.60 to 7.70:
- Added support for GMR18/24xHD Radomes.
- Added support for GXM52 weather antenna.
- Improve units consistency between bridge height and bridge horizontal clearance.
- Improved support for LakeVu HD cartography.
- Addressed some potential instabilities when calculating Autoguidance routes.
- Fixed issues with water speed calibration when using a GSD24/26.
- Other performance improvements and bug fixes.
Changes made from version 7.50 to 7.60:
- Added support for networking with 8000 series.
Changes made from version 7.40 to 7.50:
- Added support for BlueChart Mobile interface when using the Garmin Marine Wi-Fi Adapter.
- Corrected issue with navaid symbols drawn on charts. This resolves a drawing issue introduced with v7.20.
Changes made from version 7.30 to 7.40:
- Fixed possible shutdown related to reception of test signals from AIS-MOB devices and Safety Related Messages from AIS transponders of certain configurations.
- Added handling for AIS-MOB and AIS-EPIRB devices.
- Added support for clearing AIS and MARPA-related message banners across networks.
- Added an Always Off setting to the other vessels collision alarm so that users do not have to disable the alarm each time the unit is powered on.
- Added the ability to share collision alarm settings over networks whenever they are changed.
Changes made from version 7.20 to 7.30:
- Fixed potential shutdown related to display of MARPA and AIS targets.
Changes made from version 7.10 to 7.20:
- Added support for maps using simplified Chinese language.
- Changed simulated sonar data to use recorded GSD 26 data.
- Updated magnetic variance values.
- Added independent adjustment of pic advance for both frequencies of dual frequency sonar when using a compatible sounder.
- Improved sonar shift control for better experience.
- Improved interaction with autopilots after reaching a destination point.
- Improved visibility of 2D chart heading line when operating in night mode.
- Fixed issue with sonar drawing where incoming data would occasionally be obscured.
- Fixed issue with drawing some types of bridges on the Fishing Chart.
- Fixed potential issue with determining shapes for buoys.
- Added ability to sort Other Vessels list by name and distance.
- Added range to data displayed for AIS vessels when details are enabled.
- Fixed issues with system and sonar voltage alarms.
- Fixed issue with tracking total fuel onboard when dealing with very large values.
- Fixed potential issue when receiving error messages from a GDL 40.
- Fixed issue with labels for depth logs displaying depths greater than 1000ft.
- Fixed issue with label for sonar cone diameter in Fish Eye 3D.
- Improved appearance of overlay data when viewing sonar in simplified Chinese.
- Made several improvements to translations.
Changes made from version 7.00 to 7.10:
- Addressed issue from v7.00 where water speed calibration values entered during startup wizard would have no effect.
- Fixed potential instability when performing software update on a unit in demo mode.
Changes made from version 6.80 to 7.00:
- Added support for GSD 24 and GSD 26 Digital Black Box Network Sounders.
- Improved user interface support for AIS Search and Rescue Transmitters (AIS-SART). This will allow users to easily and safely respond to distress calls from other vessels.
- Improved drawing of lights on 3D charts to better indicate the currently visible light sector and added support for drawing navaids with multiple lights.
- Updated the Light Sectors setting on navigation charts. The ?Auto? setting will now show all lights with multiple light sectors, but continue to hide 360 degree lights that have an unknown range. The 'On' setting will show all lights.
- Added support for Gulf of Mexico blocks and rigs on the Fishing Chart (requires BlueChart 2011.5 or newer).
- Changed Fishing Chart to show seabed nature points.
- Added support for high resolution Sirius/XM sea temperature data. The original low resolution data may be displayed by adjusting the Sea Temperature setting in the Weather Fishing Chart.
- Added Garmin Devices menu to System Information page to quickly list information about connected Garmin devices.
- Water temperature data is now displayed in hundredths of a degree to allow users with compatible sensors to more easily detect trends.
- Updated Light Review page to ensure the proper light sector was marked visible.
- Improved calculation of certain autoguidance routes.
- Increased maximum Fuel Capacity value to 65,000 liters.
- Addressed intermittent problem with manually setting the date on the Tides and Currents review pages.
- Improved sonar split zoom display when in manual zoom mode.
- Improved display of double Ebb and double Flood currents.
- Fixed issue with map rotation when display is connected to a lower-frequency heading sensor or 3rd party autopilot over NMEA 0183.
- Added ability for current time to be displayed in either HH:MM or HH:MM:SS formats.
- Changed Add Fuel feature to better estimate fuel added.
- Improved connectivity of GDL 40 after software update.
- Changed GDL 40 signal strength indicator to no longer use red bars to indicate signal strength.
- Addressed issue with updating unit built-in map from a read-only SD card.
- Improved support for Airmar NMEA 2000 water temperature sensors.
- Changed GFL 10 configuration to prevent an Invalid Tank Configuration message from appearing if multiple tanks have the same tank number, but are set to different fluid types.
- Improved display of Wind VMG data while performing Go To navigation.
- Addressed problem with changing to the next and previous days on Tides and Currents pages.
- Added copyright information for built-in maps to System Information page.
- Incorporated new translations and improvements to existing translations.
Changes made from version 6.60 to 6.80:
- Fixed issue with visibility of weather button.
- Added support for display of simplified Chinese language.
- Fixed potential shutdown related to map card insertion.
Changes made from version 6.50 to 6.60:
- Added support for GDL40.
- Improved support for Canadian Forecasts.
Changes made from version 6.40 to 6.50:
- Corrected chart presentation in 3d views.
Changes made from version 6.30 to 6.40:
- Added support for topographic maps.
- Added switch allowing user to start route from boat or first turn.
- Added GPS Heading as an option for display in cruising data-bar.
- Added support for maps with text in multiple codepages.
- Added controls for timed transmission to radar overlay when radar is in Sentry mode.
- Added date/time information to screenshot files.
- Added ability for user to lock touch screen through power key menu.
- Improved sensitivity of auto-backlight adjustment when slowly transitioning from dark to light.
- Fixed occasional lockup during software updates when devices were trying to reboot.
- Improved presentation of rotary current information
- Overhauled display of AIS in 3D presentations.
- Perform network-wide clear of Maximum Rated RPM banner
- Improved stability of weather charts against invalid or corrupt received XM Data.
- Fixed issue where occasionally invalid data was being drawn on tides and currents page.
- Fixed issues with radar colors when transitioning from day to night mode.
- Improved image panning when zoomed on aerial photos.
- Fixed display of 'Exposed Rock' with smallest symbol size.
- Send out empty WIMWV sentence instead of last good data when wind source is lost.
- Added support for missing Sirius-XM Canadian weather bulletins.
Changes made from version 6.20 to 6.30:
- Resolved issue with map authentication.
- Fixed issue with cursor leaving navigation chart window in combinations.
Changes made from version 6.10 to 6.20:
- Changes to support manufacturing.
Changes made from version 5.90 to 6.10:
- Modified engine dashboards to better accommodate engines that don't output trim data.
- Added Fuel Flow Rate (per engine), Boost Pressure, Fuel Pressure, and Transmission Oil Temperature to available combinations data items.
- Added ability to share custom gauge limits over the network.
- Allowed textual labeling of engine and tank data (port, starboard, etc.).
- Added Graphical Display of data in Combinations and Customizable cruising numbers for NMEA2000 Adapters including Rudder Angle, Bow/Trim tabs, Engine Trim, Various Tank Levels, Smaller and Selectable boat icons for 2d Charts.
- Added an improved method of manual waypoint entry.
- Added Sonar Picture Advance control.
- Added a user control to the 2D maps that allows the 'Heading Line' to use Course over Ground instead of Magnetic Heading.
- Modified the Keel Offset, Temp Offset and Water Speed Calibration under My Boat to affect preferred Depth, Water Temp, or Water Speed sources respectively, even if those sources are from NMEA 2000 devices which previously could only be configured through the device review page.
- Improved map drawing and stability around the antemeridian.
- Expanded engine dashboards to match those in 6xxx/7xxx.
- Added engine instrumentation to combinations.
- Added custom sonar zoom feature.
- Added support for a QWERTY Keyboard.
- Added support for updating the internal basemap.
- Fixed an issue with MFDs unable to configure the GFL10 Tank Capacity.
- Fixed AIS direction-of-turn bar drawing in the wrong direction on radar pages.
- Restored drawing of misc marine areas (turbulent areas).
- Fixed bug where auto guidance safe depth didn't set properly above 5.5m.
Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
- Added support for outputting cross-track error over NMEA0183 with up to three decimal places of precision.
- Added support for outputting MARPA target tracking messages over NMEA0183.
- Added support for Yanmar engine tilt and oil pressure.
Changes made from version 5.70 to 5.80:
- Corrected defective map drawing
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
- Improved autopilot and chartplotter synergy
- Fixed NMEA2k output bridging behavior with multiple 4xxx/5xxx units on a network
- Fixed issues with map sharing between networked units
- Fixed 3d chart issues near anti-meridian
- Fixed 2d chart issues when zoomed out near Canary Islands
- Fixed display of cranes on charts
- Fixed display of intertidal heights on charts
- Corrected issue that caused some map areas to be shaded incorrectly. This issue is most likely seen as large areas filled with solid brown.
Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
- Added support for BlueChart g2 and g2 Vision version 11.5.
- Changed safety shading control to be a user data entry field.
- Added support for Portuguese fishing areas.
- Added support for dolphin buoys
- Added support for using built-in map update SD cards.
- Added support for synchronizing Auto Scroll speed with networked chartplotters and GSD22.
- Fixed issues causing slow and incomplete tide calculations.
- Modified to silence AIS Lost Target banner if the AIS Collision Alarm is turned off.
- Display Date/Time when scanning Track Points.
- Improved lost AIS target time calculation.
- Fixed bug where waypoint names were drawing incorrectly on map.
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.50:
- Fixed shutdown with VEU706L map card near southeast coast of England
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Added a control to turn off the AIS/Marpa Collision Alarm
- Fixed issue where AIS targets with status of moored or anchored were showing up as lost prematurely
- Added an 'Auto' option to the light sector control
- Added a control to hide waypoints on the weather charts
- Fixed bug where animated current arrows were displaying relative to North Up even in Head Up mode
- Improved Mariner's Eye 3D operation under slow speeds
- Added improvements to animated tide and currents to use smaller symbols and to draw them at higher zoom levels
- Added the blue and black direction lines for orthogonal photo points
- Corrected sonar noise rejection control to work properly in dual frequency mode
- Fixed bug where zoom level would change when editing a route
- Added ability to make sonar and video fields go to full screen in combinations by using rocker pad (4xxx only)
- Fixed bug where Mariner's Eye 3D safe depth wasn't correct the first time you went to that view
- Fixed shutdown when using the system information 'Save to Card' feature
- Potentially dangerous points along auto guidance paths will be outlined in red. After the auto guidance calculation completes, a message will appear if there are potentially unsafe areas along the path
- Fixed a bug where auto guidance lines can ignore the safety buffer on the first leg of the route
- Changed the nature of seabed areas to simply label the area instead of drawing a circle and label
- Updated the symbol highlighting on the chart to use the correct symbol size
- Added support for calibrating Airmar DST sensors via NMEA 2000
- Changed the water speed value that is sent via NMEA 2000 to be the calibrated water speed
- Fixed issue where depth soundings were not drawing
- Add ability to configure custom units in startup wizard
- Fixed issue where maps created with Greek, Cyrillic, Easter European, Hebrew, Arabic, or Turkish writing systems won't display the proper text.
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Added support to inform user of recalled map data.
- Added sonar noise reject control for use with GSD22 with compatible software.
- Added support to enable MARPA in sentry mode.
- Added compass tape to navigation chart, fishing chart and radar overlay.
- When a route is activated the unit will automatically add a leg from the boat's current position to the first waypoint in the route.
- Added local weather to navigation chart point selection menu.
- Added route turn distance and angle information to turn scanning text.
- Added disclaimer to radar fields when in simulator/demo mode.
- Removed duplicate entries from marine and offshore services list.
- Added support for depth contour labels in fishing chart for older maps.
- Consistent handling of multiple county warnings.
- Fixed a bug where inter tidal areas were not being displayed on fishing charts.
Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:
- Fixed potential lockup when connected to NMEA 2000 Heading Source.
- Changes to support manufacturing.
Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.10:
- Fixed missing fishing chart with older g2 vision card.
Changes made from version 4.80 to 5.00:
- Made the units much more responsive to key presses and screen touches.
- Numerous rearrangements of menus, configurations, and adjustments to place most-used features in easy to access locations.
- Made the Back button smarter to minimize the number of key presses required to exit commonly used features.
- Added automatic time zone setting at start-up.
- Added logging of MOB events.
- Expanded control of navigation leg transition to include a time-based choice.
- Changed the chart terminology for heading-up orientation from Track Up to Head Up.
- Improved waypoint marking interfaces to minimize map obstruction and reduce required key presses.
- Greatly improved the drawing speed for charts. In most areas users should rarely see a partially drawn map when zooming and panning.
- Added continuous smoothing between zoom levels.
- Added continuous smoothing of the head-up direction for head-up charts. Head-up users will find this change a remarkable improvement in performance.
- Add ability to choose the label display for waypoints by symbol. User can choose to show labels for waypoints of a particular symbol with the waypoint name, comment, or symbol only.
- Waypoints can now be turned off on charts by symbol. This allows the waypoints on the map to be quickly limited to those of interest for the boater's current activity.
- Added ability to show or hide track logs based on color.
- Added a compass rose overlay option.
- Added ability to mark waypoints with the pointer on weather maps.
- Added all supporting features for the latest g2 and g2 Vision, including user control of bathymetric contour shading.
- Added a perspective 3D display of charts for people who do not have g2 Vision cards.
- Added ability to overlay charts and photographs on the 3D relief when using g2 Vision.
- Added ability to rotate the 3D view and point to objects for review.
- Improved the head-up responsiveness of Mariner's Eye 3D making manual route following much easier to do (no over-steer).
- Numerous appearance and drawing performance improvements.
- Added option for a compass tape at the top of the screen.
- Removed the 'sonar panel' display from Fish Eye 3D and replaced with symbols indicating sonar detections.
- Removed the control for specifying the sonar beam width in the 3D picture. Beam width is determined automatically from the transducer.
- Added a Sentry Mode to make the management of guard zones and timed-transmit modes easier.
- Made the panning and pointing operations more like working with maps.
- Made the symbols for MARPA more like the international standard shapes and colors.
- Added user control for water temperature offset.
- Added ability to move a pointer around on the sonar image when paused and mark waypoints at locations pointed to (underwater waypoints feature).
- Can now load and store multiple sets of user data files on an SD card.
- Added user comments field to waypoints.
- Added range, bearing, and a graphical pointer to waypoint review pages.
- Added support for the new GXM-51 weather receiver.
- Made the MOB function a full-system feature such that pressing MOB on any device will place every device in an MOB-ready state. The software downloaded from this page will also update other Garmin devices connected to the plotter so that they have this feature also.
- When activating navigation on the chart plotter you have the option to engage the autopilot if it is a Garmin GHP-10 connected via NMEA2000.
- Added serial transfer of user data for compatibility with popular PC navigation and planning software.
- When connected to future Garmin NMEA 2000 VHF radios the user can choose to place a DSC call to any item which has an MMSI number including DSC position markers and AIS vessels on the map.
- Changed the symbols and colors to be closer to international standards.
- AIS vessels are only filtered from the map by distance from the boat. The user can set up the range of interest or choose to show all AIS vessels up to a maximum of 100 vessels.
- Added standard 'select and activate' interface for AIS. User can choose which targets to track with a larger symbol and heading/COG indications. All other AIS vessels display in a smaller symbol to minimize clutter.
- Use a solid line for AIS vessel heading and a dashed line for course over ground.
- Added user-controlled trails for AIS, DSC, and MARPA vessels.
- Added connecting legs over shallow areas at the beginning and end of the path. This allows the boater to auto guide to a shore-based service. The unit will sound an alarm when the boat approaches the shallow leg.
- Added a control for shore-line proximity tolerance which allows the user to choose tighter margins for passage through narrow channels or set a larger distance margin from the shoreline.
- Plotter will allow a GHP-10 family autopilot connected via NMEA2000 to steer the Auto guidance path.
- When following Auto guidance added a navigation option to recalculate Auto guidance to the current destination from the boat's current position.
Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:
- Added support for safety contour for enhanced g2 vision cartography.
Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.70:
- Improved reliability of NMEA 2000 software updates
- Resolved compatibility issues with Yanmar engines
Changes made from version 4.50 to 4.60:
- Fixed rare shutdown while viewing specific chart locations
- Corrected display anomalies in Greek language text
- MOB button will no longer remove a waypoint the first time it is pressed on a unit
- Fixed occasional delay in output of NMEA 0183 position information
- Corrected choice of backlight level during power-up page
- Display GPS antenna as attached regardless of satellite fix status
Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
- Corrected error where handling of cross track error over NMEA 2000 was reversed.
- If available, use heading sensor input to stabilize heading reference for Mariner?s eye 3D at slow speeds.
Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.40:
- Added Arabic, Farsi, Bulgarian, and Czech translations
- Fixed problems with NMEA 0183 output pausing or being invalid
Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.30:
- Added the option to configure the distance from a turn at which the system will transition to the next leg of a route
- Fixed potential shutdowns when viewing a navigation chart in track up mode with weather or photos turned on
- Fixed potential shutdown caused by trying to adjust the speed filter of a GPS 17x
- Cease output of NMEA information related to a Goto or Route To after the destination has been passed.
Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.20:
- Added the ability to configure the level of detail shown by the base map
- Improved track up map updating so it is more responsive to vessel direction changes.
Changes made from version 3.10 to 4.10:
- Added a Mark/MOB touch-button by the Home touch-button on the 5000 series.
- Changed labels for numeric configuration buttons from 'Overlay Numbers' to 'Data Bars' and added more user setup options for Cruising, Navigation, and Sailing data bars.
- Improved the visibility of the map pointer.
- Added a 'Local Services' search feature which finds services near the map pointer of the Navigation, Fishing, and Radar Overlay* Charts.
- Added a distance measurement tool on the Navigation Chart menu.
- Added a control to the waypoint review page for moving a waypoint on the map if it was reviewed via the map.
- Added controls to toggle on and off the display of photo points, service points, land POIs, and Tides/Currents symbols on the Navigation Chart.
- Added control to toggle on and off the display of Navaids on the Fishing Chart.
- Added the ability to show/hide saved tracks and the active track based on color.
- Improved track up map updating so it is more responsive to vessel direction changes.
- Added support for SDHC cards, which have capacities greater than 2GB.
- Changed default sonar background color to blue
- Modified to display all AIS targets on the charts by default, and added a menu item to only show the 5 closest AIS targets.
- Expanded ability to toggle the visibility of waypoints and navigation lines on the Radar.
- Added auto-detection of engines while viewing gauges.
- Dynamically scale fuel rate and fuel economy digital gauges.
- Added numeric engine data to list of data fields available on combinations.
- Added a static VRM/EBL marker to the Cruising Radar.
- Significantly improved accuracy of XM Channel Guide song and artist information when visiting the XM audio page the first time..
- Enabled output of wind data over NMEA0183 when connected to a wind sensor.
- Added G2 Vision Card information to the System Information Page
- Added a 'Route Bar' control under 'Navigation Bar Setup', which toggles the display of additional route specific data.
- Changed arrival alarm to trigger on arrival at 'Destination' or 'Destination and Turns' based on user's preference.
- Added an option to create a route from a list of existing user waypoints.
- Performing a Go To will now draw the desired track lane from the origin to the destination for those who wish to use Go To for following a specific course with minimum cross track error. The lane center line will still 'float' with the vessel for those who wish to navigate by bearing only. Routes can still be used to create navigation lanes with a fixed center line.
- Added Offset Navigation which allows navigation based on a fixed distance from the original route. This is useful for trolling a precise distance from regulatory fishing boundaries.
- Changed route creation on navigation and fishing charts to no longer require selecting 'Add Turn' for the last point if the pointer is moved away from the last 'Add Turn' position. When 'Done' is pressed, the location of the pointer will be the last route waypoint.
- After saving a route created on the navigation or fishing charts, the user will be presented with the route review page so they can easily change the name at that time.
- Added Stop Navigation option to Mariner's Eye menu.
- Added Fish Eye 3D view control to allow fore, aft, port and starboard views. Also added manual panning of Fish Eye 3D.
- Changed Mariner's Eye 3D camera so that it can be positioned to look straight down when zoomed out to the minimum zoom level and extended the view to the horizon while navigating.
- Made vessel turning with 3D pages smoother to eliminate overshoot when steering a route line in 3D.
- Made the auto guidance lane width on the Mariner's Eye 3D page user adjustable.
- Decreased the drawing time required for XM weather pages.
- Added a Weather Setup control in the Chart Setup menu to allow user choose which weather features will display on the Navigation and Fishing Charts.
- Improved the appearance of the weather legend and added control for displaying it on the Navigation and Fishing charts.
- Can now display multiple fish species on the Fishing information page.
- Always display review, route creation, and position select maps with north up orientation.
- Added additional digit for Loran TD offsets to allow entering larger offsets.
- Updated the Auckland, Hawaiian, and Eniwetok time zones to the new DST standards.
- Fixed placement of the North arrow on Track up maps. Previously the arrow was inconsistently placed in the upper right or upper left corner.
- Display the total fuel remaining data bar number with a maximum of 4 digits. Previously, the maximum was 3 digits and volumes over 999 would display as invalid.
- Corrected bug on a Combinations page, where the XM data bar was on, the Digital data bar was off and the combination showed at least one chart along with one other function in a horizontal layout. In this case the chart would be blank.
- Eliminated unsightly overscan lines that are included in some video sources.
- Corrected a bug that would cause the information in the AIS vessel list to be random characters.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
- Solved occasional delay in updating XM weather on networks with multiple systems
- Solved issue with searching on large map cards
- Show water speed wheel calibration in simulator mode
Changes made from version 2.70 to 3.00:
- Production released 4x10 and 5x15 software
- Added support for new categories of NMEA2000 data, including Navigation, GPS, Fuel, Depth, Water Speed, and Temperature
- Added fuel management features
- Improved map drawing performance
- Added ability to navigate tracks
- Increased accessibility of XM audio features
- Added XM weather to 3D map.
- Numerous product feature improvements
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:
- Improved cursor behavior on map combinations.
- Corrected issue with display freezing in certain situations.
Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:
- Improved Track-Up map drawing operation, including removal of flicker when turning.
- Updated Language Translations.
- Added Sea Surface temperature Scanning.
- Various minor user interface fixes and improvements
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
- Fixed shutdown issue that occured when reviewing certain navaids
- Allow map areas with extended text to be reviewed
- Show full G2 Vision data on points accessed from 'Where To'
- Various minor user interface fixes and improvements
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:
- Made several map display improvements
- Added support for NMEA 0183 antennas
- Implemented minor user interface improvements
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Enabled inland detail card imagery.
- Corrected issue that could cause display of 3D, sonar, and radar to be lost.
- Corrected issues in handling NMEA 2000 protocol.
- Corrected issue causing some text to not be properly displayed on the chart.
- Made various user interface improvements.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:
- Improved Language Translations.
- Minor user interface improvements.
Changes made from version 2.00 to 2.10:
- Added various user interface improvements.
- Updated Language Translations.
- Fixed radar related drawing/adjustment bugs.
- Improved route editing.
- Corrected Map Drawing issues.
- Corrected occasional screen flicker on sonar page.