GPSMAP 2006/2006C software version 5.90
as of December 17, 2008
Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
- Fixed issue where items that are not drawn could be highlighted on the chart.
Changes made from version 5.70 to 5.80:
- Fixed problem with NMEA output stopping for a few minutes at 00:00:00Z.
- Incorporated recent changes to the Daylight Savings Time schedule to properly detect when DST starts and stops.
Changes made from version 5.60 to 5.70:
- Added support for receiving NMEA DSE sentence.
- Improved language support by filling in missing translations.
Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
- Fixed a bug that caused extended chart information to not be displayed when reviewing a point on BlueChart maps.
- Fixed possible issue with waypoint symbol being unexpectedly changed to the generic dot symbol on user data transfer.
Changes made from version 5.40 to 5.50:
- Added German tide support.
- Added Croatian language support.
- Made this product compatible with MarineUpdater for easier software updates.
- Corrected time representation problem on tide chart for IOS stations.
- Fixed potential problem with displaying extremely high- or low-resolution BlueChart maps.
- Improved user waypoint merge functionality for serial and card data transfers.
- Fixed Recommended Route line review problem where associated depth and/or description text was not being displayed.
- Added support for violet, blue, and amber marine lights.
- Added support for new Artificial Reef and Drilling Rig BlueChart point types.
- Changed color of Medical Facility waypoint symbol cross from red to blue.
- Added mode indicator to $GPVTG NMEA output sentence.
- Added language translations for Submerged Wreck and Non-Dangerous Rock phrases.
- Corrected problem with daylight savings time calculation when applied to times a year or more in the future.
- Corrected various Italian language translations.
Changes made from version 5.30 to 5.40:
- Fixed various user card data transfer issues.
- Improved power-up processing for better performance.
- Improved the default settings interface on the comm tab.
- Changed text displayed for 'non-dangerous rock' to 'underwater rock' and changed 'submerged wreck, non-dangerous' to 'submerged wreck'.
- Modified 'Place of Worship' and 'cemetery' symbols.
- Corrected a problem with UPS grid conversions in zones B and Z.
- Added Canadian tide support.
- Reduced size of BlueChart building symbol.
- Corrected problem with Australian celestial moon phase calculations.
- Changed Austrian datum transformation parameters to dx = 594, dy = 84, & dz = 471.
- Fixed colors for tracback routes.
- Changed symbol for non-dangerous rocks.
- Fixed French translation for 'On'.
Changes made from version 5.20 to 5.30:
- Corrected a problem writing to the data card that could result in an immediately apparent but recoverable corruption of the data card.
Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.20:
- Added new translations for the French language.
- Added the ability to store and read user waypoints, routes, and tracks on/from a Garmin data card. This allows the user to back up the waypoints, routes, and tracks when the unit requires him/her to clear his/her user data. It also allows the user to transfer this information to MapSource and back.
- Added the ability for the unit to display the depth on the Map page when it is split with the Sonar field.
- Enhanced the sonar simulator to give a more real-to-life picture.
- Fixed a problem where the Fish alarm would interrupt and cancel other persistent alarms and messages.
- Fixed a problem that caused the NMEA GPGSV sentence to not be compliant with the NMEA 0183 v3.01 standard.
- Fixed a problem that caused the unit to incorrectly draw some BlueChart maps.
- Fixed a problem that caused the unit to not properly update its settings after the user selected the Factory Defaults option on the Sonar Setup page.
- Fixed a problem that caused the Daylight Savings Time field to disappear when the time zone was set to 'Other'.
- Fixed a problem that caused the unit to incorrectly draw the time values on the Tide page when the unit was set to a 24-hour time format.
- Corrected miscellaneous German and Swedish translation errors.
- Fixed a problem with drawing names of maps on the Map Information page when the maps had long names.
Changes made from version 4.04 to 5.00:
- Many Sonar enhancements and additions, featuring:
- Improved the pointer information box on the sonar page.
- Corrected an inaccuracy problem with the depth number that is shown next to the Depth Line when it is turned on. This problem only occurs when using Bottom Lock and does not affect any other aspects of the sonar display or depth reporting.
- Improved Depth Line interface.
- Corrected problem that could cause the Depth Line to get 'stuck' if many
down-key presses are performed sequentially.
- Any connected remote sonar unit's user settings will now be cleared at
the same time the chartplotter's user settings are cleared when the Quit
key is held down at power-up.
- 'Pointer' and 'Adjustments' softkeys are now disabled on the Sonar page
whenever sonar is turned off.
- Fixed potential lockup problem that could occur when Fish ID is turned on.
- Corrected problem with the Sonar display field's Basic Scale not being
drawn wide enough when using Bottom Lock.
- Added DSC support.
- Added support for Australian and European tides.
- Added graphical Water Temperature Log support. This included moving the Temp.
Log Duration and Temp. Log Scale items from the Sonar Setup page to a new
dedicated Water Temperature setup tab in the main menu.
- Added track-line style configuration support for monochrome products and track-line color configuration support for color products.
- Added support for localized compass letters.
- Improved display of cartographic hazard depths.
- The ability to receive waypoints using the NMEA WPL sentence has been turned on.
- Elevation units no longer overflow to a larger unit of measure when the value
gets large. For example, if you are using Statute units and your elevation
rolls over from 999 ft to 1000 ft, the unit will now display 1000 ft,
rather than 1.0 kft.
- Removed simulator icon and added support for new simulator enunciator.
- Added new metric version of Nautical units that underflows distance
measurements to meters instead of feet.
- Daylight Savings Time configuration is now allowed when the Time Zone is set
- Corrected some potential problems that could occur when changing the Serial
Data Format from Garmin Data Transfer to some other format.
- Improved the moon phase calculations.
- Improved appearance of Tide graph chart.
- Revamped and improved retail demonstration mode, including resetting the
position and zoom levels to the position init values on demo reset.
- Fractional data is no longer displayed in numeric distance display fields
when configured to use units of feet or meters.
- Fixed problem that caused the selectable data fields that now show title
strings when highlighted (highway, sonar, etc.) to not behave properly
on Zoom In/Out key presses.
- Added support for extended (non-English language) character display on the
- 'Track Log Full' message is now displayed when the Track Recording Mode is
set to 'Fill' and there is no more space left to record track points.
- Fixed problem with missing tide extremes.
- Fixed data display problem that occurred on the Active Route page when the
name of an existing route is entered to begin navigation of that route.
- Renaming the TracBack route on the Active Route page is no longer allowed.
- Fixed a problem with the 'Add Before' softkey on the textual route editing page.
If a waypoint was removed from a full route, the softkey was not being updated
until the cursor was moved.
- Fixed problem that caused the disclaimer page to not properly timeout if a data card was in the unit and it was removed while the page was visible.
- The Tide page cursor time is now based on the selected station's time offset.
Changes made from version 4.03 to 4.04:
- Fixed possible sonar range lock-up.
- Fixed potential Water Temperature Log graph lock-up bug.
Changes made from version 4.02 to 4.03:
- Enhanced wetland colors when displaying topo maps.
- Adjusted how map drawing order is determined for maps with similar resolutions.
- Modified highlight movement on Marine Services review pages.
- Corrected button on Marine Services review pages.
- Modified Find menu strings.
- Fixed potential problems if disconnected from GSD20.
- Improved sonar noise rejector some. Now less likely to reject weak signals when rejection isn't necessary.
- Modified to not allow multiple GSD20s to keep the system from becoming confused.
- Fixed possible bug where alarm message would not go away if software version mismatch
- Fixed potential loss of connection with GSD20 if incorrectly trying to load software to second port of GSD20 with the GSD20 connected to unit's first port.
Changes made from version 4.01 to 4.02:
- Changes required to support production.
- Fixed a bug that potentially caused problems loading new software to remote units.
Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.01:
- Fixed a bug that does not correctly display light sector data when the unit is in Track Up mode.
Changes made from version 3.02 to 4.00:
- Many BlueChart enhancements featuring
- Light Sector Support. Color units indicate the actual color of each sector using the color of the light. Monochrome units draw white and yellow sectors as white, and draw blue, red, and green sectors as dark gray.
- A "Navaids" tab has been added to the Map Setup Tab page. This tab has a control called "Light Sectors" which behaves as follows:
- Off - No light sectors are ever drawn.
- Auto - Light sectors appear when you point to them.
- On - Light sectors are drawn for all lights that have them.
- Navaid Symbol Set configuration where the user can select the desired navaid symbol set. This control is on the "Navaids" tab, and presents the following options:
- Auto - BlueChart maps are drawn using symbols similar to the NOAA/NIMA standard. Non BlueChart maps (i.e. topo, roads & rec, waterways & lights, FHS etc) are drawn using traditional GARMIN symbols.
- GARMIN - All maps are drawn using traditional GARMIN symbols.
- NOAA - All maps are drawn using a symbol set similar to NOAA/NIMA.
- International - All maps are drawn using a symbol set similar to the IALA symbol set.
- User-configurable navaid symbol size.
- User-configurable navaid label text size.
- Recommended route review page, which displays information about recommended routes.
- Submerged cable and submerged pipeline are now drawn using a straight or dashed (sometimes black, sometimes blue) line.
- Added GSD20 remote sonar support featuring:
- Bottom lock support.
- Side-by-side dual frequency display.
- Temperature log and alarms.
- Persistent alarm support.
- Croatian map datum.
- Increased route waypoints from 50 to 254.
- Fixed a bug where the unit would not work with MapSource to do real-time plotting in the MapSource application while displaying BlueChart data. If one were showing BlueChart, he could not plot the boat's position on the PC. If one enabled position plotting via NMEA, he could not display BlueChart.
Changes made from version 3.01 to 3.02:
- Added support for handling input of NMEA DBT depth sentence.
- Implemented new Advanced NMEA setup item for setting the Waypoint ID output format. This should allow for backwards compatibility with a wider range of NMEA driven products, including some older AutoPilots.
- Corrected possible highway page lockup bug.
- Corrected 'Light' string translation for Danish language so that it now properly indicates reference to the unit's backlight.
- Removed support for Satellite and Position data transfer via the GARMIN Communications Protocol.
- Removed general hotel reservation phone number from Metro Guide data review pages, as the number is no longer valid.
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.01:
- Corrected an issue that prevented the 'Transferring Data' screen from showing when a GPS 17N update card was used.
- Updated foreign language translations.
- Improved Store Demonstration Mode behavior for language selection and back light level settings.
- Corrected a problem that caused the unit to draw the Course Line incorrectly when a Man Overboard operation overrides a GOTO operation before the unit has a fix.
- Improved handling of light sector descriptions on the light review page.
- Prevented some unnecessary map draws.
Changes made from version 2.16 to 3.00:
- Always use 'm' to indicate meters, not 'mt'.
- Draw spar buoys in their actual color instead of always black.
- Added support for 'Store Demonstration Mode'.
- Added find by name support.
- Sped up FIND category determination. Find categories now are only presented if there is a map feature of that type somewhere in the currently available maps.
- Added progress indication for first-time card reads.
- Improved handling of large data cards.
- Improved the appearance of the directional pointer tail.
- Allow zooming of the highway field on the highway setup tab.
- Improved declutter menu item wording to improve clarity.
- Improved consistency of the 'Declutter' map feature.
- Improved the visibility of the cursor on the tide chart, and made it moveable.
- Corrected time axis values on tide chart for stations with UTC offsets of -10 hours.
- Added RT 90 Grid.
- When editing a non-active route on the map, don't automatically initiate navigation of that route.
- Added marine services support.
- Confirmation page OK/Cancel/YES/NO button options are available as softkeys as well.
- Find menu is taller.
- Corrected problem when saving a full, unsegmented track log.
- Implemented India Grid support.
- Corrected problem where some map copyrights were not being displayed correctly.
- In the NAV KEY menu, present as the first item an option to re-activate the current Go To if currently doing a Go To to a point in the active route.
- Improved appearance and functionality of the celestial page.
- Correct context error when navigating to a point after performing a find operation.
- Corrected list of available menu options when editing a route graphically.
- Fixed MARK context issue on waypoint tab page.
- Fixed problem where anchor drag alarm would only go off once.
- Fixed problem where the approaching waypoint message was getting cleared too soon when distance based alarms were being used.
- Corrected Port 2 NMEA RMC Checksum problem.
- Improved point selection process when creating a route graphically. Now user waypoints are created at the location of a selected map feature for certain types of map features.
- Corrected a map drawing problem which caused country names to not be centered on their anchor point.
- Fixed the Distance method for the Arrival alarm so it displays the correct units when the distance setting is 0.
- Provide proper indication when blank data cards are inserted.
- Eliminated page flicker on the Active Route Page when pressing the left and right arrow keys to view the optional statistics.
- Fixed an error that prevented the Arrival alarm from re-triggering during a Go To operation if the distance option was selected and the distance value was changed.
- Fixed a problem where route lines were not being clipped properly on the edge of the screen when the route waypoints were close together.
- 'New Waypoint' is now disabled on user points page when waypoint memory full.
- Improved accuracy of map cursor operations.
- Corrected a potential problem when adding the 50th point to a route.
Changes made from version 2.15 to 2.16:
- Corrected non-English Language strings.
- Corrected a problem that caused the list on the Find page to not get updated.
Changes made from version 2.14 to 2.15:
- The 'GPS Coverage Lost' question mark indicator on the perspective highway page no longer flashes.
- Added GPS Accuracy Alarm.
- Go-From position is now properly remembered when the unit is turned off then on again.
- Corrected a lock-up problem that existed in the Celestial page for locations where the moon does not rise for more than 24 hours.
- Added 'Other Location' option to Celestial page's Position selection menu.
- Corrected a problem which could cause a shutdown when operating the unit in simulator mode for extended periods of time.
- Restore Celestial Page time & position to current time and current location at power-on.
- Corrected a map drawing problem which could cause bridges in BlueChart data to appear fuzzy, and slightly larger than intended.
- Corrected a map drawing problem which caused country names to not be centered on their anchor point.
- Enabled the GPSMAP 2006/2006C/2010/2010C to update the software in an attached GPS 17N using code provided on a data card.
- Don't send out sonar NMEA sentences unless we have meaningful sonar data to transmit.
- Improved responsiveness of unit reaction to insertion of a data card.
- Always draw the satellite signal strength bars as solid green, and never draw a 'D' on them.
- Always update a waypoint's data upon return to the user waypoint edit page. This corrects a problem where a waypoint's position, distance, and bearing was not updated after 'Show on Map' was selected and the waypoint was moved on the map.
- Added 'New Waypoint' softkey for waypoint creation on the user points page.
- Added generation of 'Datum' NMEA sentence.
- The coloring of some map line features was modified to make them more visible.
- Added Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portugese, Spanish, and Swedish languages.
- Allow individual classes of NMEA sentences to be disabled.
- Added support for BWC, XTE and VTG NMEA sentences.
- Reduced the amount of path smoothing done when saving tracks.
Changes made from version 2.13 to 2.14:
- Fixed column data display problem on route definition page.
- Improvements were made to the following Tide related features:
- Don't display charts with Tide data that has excessive error.
- Corrected secondary station bias calculations.
- Default Differential GPS alarm to be off.
Changes made from version 2.12 to 2.13:
- Corrected a track saving problem that could cause unit lock-up when the active track is full in wrap mode, after staying in the same location for the full track history.
Changes made from version 2.11 to 2.12:
- Added shutdown verification / override code.
- Corrected temperature display in test mode.
- Corrected a track saving problem that could cause unit lock-up when the active track is full in wrap mode.
- Corrected a slight screen flash at power-on in monochrome units.
- Corrected forgetfulness of basemap/datacard map switches on the Map/Sources tab when a data card is inserted or removed.
- Improved visibility of tracks over land in WATER map color mode in monochrome units.
- Display the 'Software Loading' message when updating software from a data card.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.11:
- Fixed problem that sometimes caused the unit to lock up after a data card had been programmed through the serial port.
- Support for monochrome units.